Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Omega Fuel Economy

ajobbins

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE V-Series
I have a series 1 Omega and I am getting around 19L/100k with an average speed of 19km/h.

That's with city driving, but that's still pretty bad right?

Car has new plugs, a new air filter and has had the MAF cleaned, but no improvement.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
My S1 3.6 uses about 11 + or - around town, and 9 + or - on the highway.

19 litres per hundred kilometers driven seems to be an awful lot of fuel used????????

The best way to check it more accurately is to fill it to the first click, note the odometer reading, use most of the tank, and at the same pump fill it again to the first click.
Note exactly to the fraction fuel used, and do your sums with kilometers driven.

ajobbins

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE V-Series
Yep, it's about right. Getting around 350kms per fill, which matches what the dash is telling me

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Yep, it's about right. Getting around 350kms per fill, which matches what the dash is telling me

You have a problem that I can't help you with from here.

ajobbins

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE V-Series
I had the garage who did the plugs for me check for anything obvious, but they couldn't find any faults anywhere.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
19L/100 is way to high, O2 sensors?

ajobbins

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE V-Series
I thought o2 sensors as well, especailly as when I use Torque with my OBD-II reader I am getting messages like this:

174690d1410338084-do-i-have-o2-sensor-problem-2014-09-09-06.36.49.jpg

But I showed that to the garage (Not a Holden dealer, but owner is ex Holden tech). He said it will be my ODB reader, and that the car would 100% show a fault code if any of the o2 sensors were dodgy. They did a scan and found no codes.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I have a series 1 Omega and I am getting around 19L/100k with an average speed of 19km/h.

Car has new plugs, a new air filter and has had the MAF cleaned, but no improvement.

19L/100Km is very high, but the curveball you've thrown is average 19Km/h, that's a seriously slow average. In my commute in Sydney I would probably average around 30km/h (I travel a bit over 30Km and the time is usually just over an hour. In my now traded VE SV6 SIDI I would get about 12.7 L/100 using 91 fuel. I don' t know what I would have got if the average speed was that low. I also had a VX II 5.7 Calais before the SV6 and with the same commute it would do mid 16's L/100Km - in school Holidays the Calais would do about 15.7 l/100Km (if the Calais was reading less than 16L/ 100Km you could bet it was school holidays). I'm using WT Fiesta for the same commute now - 7.0 L/100Km.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004

How far do you travel on each trip?
Oxy sensors need a bit of warming before they begin to operate.

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
I get more than 350klms on lpg tank def.... something going on even though your average is that slow still something is up. I would be thinking o2 sensors also. what I ise to do in the past on a vt ss and a vy clubsport when I bought them the dash showed pathetic fuel economy. I removed the fuse and disconnected the battery to reset the computer. Plugged it all back in and let the computer relearn the idle. Goto the servo put injector cleaner in it and the best premium fuel you can find. Then go on a nice long country drive on the highway doing 110 to 120 and drive as light as you can to get the best economy. Always found this worked for me with my vt ss 6 speed manual on long freeway trips I could get it down to 9.0l per 100 kilometres not to bad.I use to live in western sydney though so none off the bullshit inner city crap you would have to put up with.

If that doesnt fix it I would be rechecking spark plugs and gaps, coil packs, maf even changing engine oil can have a big effect on fuel economy who knows maybe some twit put 25w-50w or thicker in it could all be contributing to excessive fuel useage. I would put my money on o2 sensors though