Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Omega Fuel Economy

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
I thought o2 sensors as well, especailly as when I use Torque with my OBD-II reader I am getting messages like this:

174690d1410338084-do-i-have-o2-sensor-problem-2014-09-09-06.36.49.jpg

But I showed that to the garage (Not a Holden dealer, but owner is ex Holden tech). He said it will be my ODB reader, and that the car would 100% show a fault code if any of the o2 sensors were dodgy. They did a scan and found no codes.

Oh and just to let you know I have a scantool and I get the same error as above but only when on lpg as soon as I flick to petrol all my o2 sensors are ticked green so I would have to say I "think" it would be your o2 sensors but I guess you mate who worked at holden may know something I don't. Maybe try asking him for an explanation on the above.....

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
I get around 8-10 around town and 5-7 on the highway, in an alloytec, something sounds way off if your using that much! With and OTR and set of extractors+ cats and tune on the way I'd love to see how low I can go.

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
I get around 8-10 around town and 5-7 on the highway, in an alloytec, something sounds way off if your using that much! With and OTR and set of extractors+ cats and tune on the way I'd love to see how low I can go.

these figures seem to good to be true

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Well according to your post your ex Holden tech has run a scan on the car and it is throwing no codes.

Nonetheless there must be a significant problem with that abnomally high fuel mileage so I would suspect you have a Vacuum Leak. Have he guy check for a leak. If you have a vacuum leak you will get poor fuel mileage because the air/ fuel mixture will be upset, your car may feel down on performance and you might notice some issues with engine idling.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Your average speed seems quite low. When I had my VS (different engine, different chassis I know) I was getting 12L/100 with an average speed of 40kph. Sounds like you do HEAPS of stop start driving.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Why don`t you swap the O2 sensors over.
If the sensor is bugged on one bank than it will be bugged on the other.

ajobbins

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE V-Series
Well according to your post your ex Holden tech has run a scan on the car and it is throwing no codes.

Nonetheless there must be a significant problem with that abnomally high fuel mileage so I would suspect you have a Vacuum Leak. Have he guy check for a leak. If you have a vacuum leak you will get poor fuel mileage because the air/ fuel mixture will be upset, your car may feel down on performance and you might notice some issues with engine idling.

I had a check with my scantool today and the Air/Fuel ratio was hovering around 14.7:1, which is is also what it is being 'commanded' by the computer, and is about right according to my Googling.

Is there any other easy way for me to test for a vacuum leak without taking it back into the shop?

ajobbins

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE V-Series
Your average speed seems quite low. When I had my VS (different engine, different chassis I know) I was getting 12L/100 with an average speed of 40kph. Sounds like you do HEAPS of stop start driving.

Yes....Melbourne commute traffic. It's about 11kms from home to work but takes me about 35 mins most days

ajobbins

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE V-Series
Oh and just to let you know I have a scantool and I get the same error as above but only when on lpg as soon as I flick to petrol all my o2 sensors are ticked green so I would have to say I "think" it would be your o2 sensors but I guess you mate who worked at holden may know something I don't. Maybe try asking him for an explanation on the above.....

Not so much a 'mate' but the guy who owns the shop I take the car to now. His explanation was my Scan tool was wrong/misreading the info from the car.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
That's probably about right then. Stop start traffic is a killer for fuel economy, considerably worse again if you have the air con going.