Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Omega Fuel Economy

ajobbins

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE V-Series
That's probably about right then. Stop start traffic is a killer for fuel economy, considerably worse again if you have the air con going.

I know it's not apples with apples, but I have a colleague who drives a 4cyl/2L Subaru basically the same route, and she is getting under 7L/100k. I expect a big 6 like this to use noticeably more gas, but still, nearly 3 times as much?

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
I have photos and a video of a scan tool reading doing 100k an hour using from 4.9-6.2 on flat road. Been to brissy and back from rocky and fuel light came on in mt larcom on the way back.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Yes....Melbourne commute traffic. It's about 11kms from home to work but takes me about 35 mins most days

So over the course of a week you are travelling about 110Km and at 19l/ 100 Km you would have used about 20l of fuel and your car is running for about 5.75 hrs. On the other hand, say if you had averaged about 30km/h for the 110 km and you might have got say 15l/100Km and say 4 hours total trip time. To have your engine running for an extra 1.75 hrs I would say you would burn an additional 3 litres of fuel (I am guessing it might use somewhere up near 2 litres per hour idling. This being the case it's reasonable to come up with 18 litres per 100km which isn't that far off the 19l/100km that you are getting. Combine this with a fairly short running times from cold and you can see it's feasible to use that much fuel. The 15l/ 100km figure I started from is about the figure I would get when my work car was a VY Commodore wagon (it was carrying a load though weighing near 2 tonnes when I went on a weighbridge at a tip). I was getting about 12.7 l/100Km in my SIDI SV6 at about 30km/h average for a one hour commuting trip in peak hour, this figure is less than any previous V6 Holden I have driven around Sydney, and my previous experience is been nearer to 15 Litres per 100 Km. My VS Commodore sedan I had since new in '97 for 13 years would only travel about 330Km before filling it with about 50 litres of fuel (63 litre fuel tank) so something like 15l/ 100km there also. While your fuel consumption is crap, I suspect it's most likely the short trips and very slow average speed that's the problem, combined with a car that's not very economical to start with.

Last edited:

ajobbins

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE V-Series
To have your engine running for an extra 1.75 hrs I would say you would burn an additional 3 litres of fuel (I am guessing it might use somewhere up near 2 litres per hour idling. This being the case it's reasonable to come up with 18 litres per 100km which isn't that far off the 19l/100km that you are getting.

If I put the car into "Engineering Mode" the car indicates it is using 0.14L/hr at idle.

Today my fuel usage was at 19.9L/100km with an average speed of 18.5km/h

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
If I put the car into "Engineering Mode" the car indicates it is using 0.14L/hr at idle.

Today my fuel usage was at 19.9L/100km with an average speed of 18.5km/h

.14 doesn't sound right, I have a 2012 Fiesta (1.6) that uses .65l/hour when idling with ac off, my VX Clubby uses about 2.65 litres per hour when idling, I don't know what my SV6 would have used. I was assuming when idling you would be using something more than double what my Fiesta would use. With my SV6 consumption of 12.7 per 100Km that is using the car mainly on one hour commutes averaging about 30Km/h. My old VS Commodore at about 15l/100 was generally for much shorter trips, but I would only be guessing average speed but I would guess around 30 something km/h as it was mostly driven locally and not usually in peak hour. Your consumption is seriously bad, but I think the very low average speed and the fairly short trips is a big factor. Even if your car was running fine and the average speed significantly better, I doubt you get much better than 15l/100 Km around town. My dad (now passed away) used to have a 3.0 Magna that I think he said would do about 16l/100Km but his trips were extremely short, often only about 500 metres to the local shops.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Crawled along in Brisbane traffic this morning so I reset my average litres per 100 km. I managed 6.8 km in about 20 minutes and my average fuel consumption was about 18ish litres per. That's with V8 AFM model fully loaded with family using air con. Thankfully 91RON was $0.99 per litre.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Crawled along in Brisbane traffic this morning so I reset my average litres per 100 km. I managed 6.8 km in about 20 minutes and my average fuel consumption was about 18ish litres per. That's with V8 AFM model fully loaded with family using air con. Thankfully 91RON was $0.99 per litre.

Do you normally run 91? I have an SS AFM also, only had it about 5 weeks now, I have only used 98 in it so far. Sorry to go a little off track from the original thread.

SnowDoggyDogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
I've run everything through it to see what works best.
E85 usually get put in at every fourth tank to keep the system smooth and clean. As my car has remained fairly stock (no mods requiring a tune) I find there is little benefit in economy or power to running 98RON over 95 or 91. When you put in E85 though the difference is noticeable - increased performance but also consumption.
The SSV is our family car, my sports car has a turbo and is modded to suit 98RON.

SnowDoggyDogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Oh and to bring the thread back to economy, the run out of Brisbane was clear and I got 9.1 per 100 km average for the 65 km highway trip with an average speed of 103 km/h. This was on the same tank of 91RON I had crawling in to town in the morning.

ajobbins

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE V-Series

So that's about 20Km/h average. Pretty similar to what I am doing but I am getting about 2L/100k more than you in only a V6 with one person sitting in it.