Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Omega Fuel Economy

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
You've got a 4 speed auto with 3.6l v6 engine and I've got a 6 speed auto 6.0l V8 that shuts down to 4 cyl.
We used to have a Series 1 Omega like yours and it was worse on consumption to Brisbane than the Series 2 SSV.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I've run everything through it to see what works best.
E85 usually get put in at every fourth tank to keep the system smooth and clean. As my car has remained fairly stock (no mods requiring a tune) I find there is little benefit in economy or power to running 98RON over 95 or 91. When you put in E85 though the difference is noticeable - increased performance but also consumption.
The SSV is our family car, my sports car has a turbo and is modded to suit 98RON.

That was my thinking with the different fuel, the 6.0 AFM auto might be a big engine, but it's not particularly powerful given its size, I was thinking it would probably run much the same on 91 as 98, I guess one thing to consider also is 95 and 98 are claimed to be cleaner on the fuel system so there may be long term benefits if this works true in practice. E85 is interesting, if the performance is up, I'd be inclined to use it, how does the extra use compare dollar per Km to the other fuels? I'm thinking E85 is cheaper at the bowser but isn't cheaper per Km, if it pans out similar dollars per Km to say 98 then the extra performance sounds good, after all it's a V8, you buy it for performance (not to forget the sound). My SS is an '09 so not E85 compatible.

ajobbins

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE V-Series
Someone mentioned a possible vacuum leak earlier. Below is the screenshot from my OBDII app (TOrque).

Shows 23.5in/Hg at idle (I think that's -23.5) with a Max of around -27 and a min of around +4.

Do does numbers look normal? Would these stats tell me if I had a vac leaks, or would I need a proper test?

torque.jpg

klavins

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International Wagon MY09.5
I have a 4spd 3.6L Alloytech and get an average of 10L/100km driving around the suburbs with a bit of country driving thrown in. I've reset the average driving on the highway and get around 7L/100km. Have you tried replacing the engine oil?

ajobbins

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE V-Series
I have a 4spd 3.6L Alloytech and get an average of 10L/100km driving around the suburbs with a bit of country driving thrown in. I've reset the average driving on the highway and get around 7L/100km. Have you tried replacing the engine oil?

Oil isn't something I can imagine could have a noticeably detrimental effect on fuel economy, but yes, oil was changed about 5,000kms ago and is still nice and golden.

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
You have to take I to account things like revs, temp, the terrain and altitude among other things. But I reckon your cars in "open loop mode" probably because of a faulty or dirty sensor like maf or map, o2 sensor or an electrical gremlin.

raul_mc

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vt equipe S2
A very heavy right foot may be the reason for the high consumption? Maybe... Lol

But jokes apart, O2 sensors maybe?
Some times little things like tyre pressures make a considerate amount of difference. Or maybe dodgy brakes, bad fuel etc...

19l/100 On an omega is something I've never seen or heard. Owned s1 sv6 averaging 550kms/ tank , s2 omega 600 to 620kms/tank and currently SSV around 18-19l/100km and all city driving.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Average speed is the tell tale sign. The more it decreases the higher the consumption per 100 km. I don't think the usage is abnormal for a V6, 4 speed auto, 2 tonne car crawling through traffic in the summer time.

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
That's very true, highest gear, lowest revs is the most fuel efficient on a flat road, so the opposite would be the worst efficiency.