Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NT] VE Omega Water in fuel

BigBNT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Commodore 2008
Hi
Has anyone had a problem of water somehow getting in to fuel when you remove the cap to refuel On three occasions now I have had water in my fuel, and this last time I have to think it must be sitting somewhere and gets in when I open the cap Surely it cannot be the petrol station at fault or I would have heard it in the media etc
Any suggestions?!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The most probable way for water to get into the vehicle's fuel tank is via the petrol pump at a servo.

During heavy rain and floods, water, leaves, mud, etc all manage to get into the servos ground tanks... Interestingly all servo's have equipment and sensors that measure the amount of water in their ground tanks. As such all servos should be well aware if their fuel is contaminated...

Unfortunately I'm not sure whether such systems auto log the water contamination data or as i've been told is logged manually when the servo operator checks the equipment and writes the reading down in a little QC/QA book (yeah like that can't be abused and porkies written down for profit)...

Sadly with all the rain and floods, I've never heard of any servo being shut downs to resolve ground tank contamination issues. I can only summise it never happens cause it's costly to fix... so instead I'll guess they pour in some ethanol and rely on the waer & fuel then mixing and the filters removing the floaty bits... Which is why your car gets contaminated and why the servos will always tell their angry customers that there is no issue (yet they wont provide copies of their QC/QA daily bullshite reports). Don't aks me how i know :mad:

As Losh says, use a different petrol station to buy your fuel ;)

The question for you is how serious is the cantamination and what issues are you seeing?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Do these Commodores have a flap at the top of the filler neck, that gets pushed in when the pump nossil is put it?

Having water get into the tank, via rain or other weather type events seems highly unlikely.....It has to get past the fuel flap and then the fuel cap.....If it was to get past the fuel flap, it would pool up just inside the flap near the cap....

To me, it sounds like a fuel station re-fuelling issue

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
The most probable way for water to get into the vehicle's fuel tank is via the petrol pump at a servo.

During heavy rain and floods, water, leaves, mud, etc all manage to get into the servos ground tanks... Interestingly all servo's have equipment and sensors that measure the amount of water in their ground tanks. As such all servos should be well aware if their fuel is contaminated...

Unfortunately I'm not sure whether such systems auto log the water contamination data or as i've been told is logged manually when the servo operator checks the equipment and writes the reading down in a little QC/QA book (yeah like that can't be abused and porkies written down for profit)...

Sadly with all the rain and floods, I've never heard of any servo being shut downs to resolve ground tank contamination issues. I can only summise it never happens cause it's costly to fix... so instead I'll guess they pour in some ethanol and rely on the waer & fuel then mixing and the filters removing the floaty bits... Which is why your car gets contaminated and why the servos will always tell their angry customers that there is no issue (yet they wont provide copies of their QC/QA daily bullshite reports). Don't aks me how i know :mad:

As Losh says, use a different petrol station to buy your fuel ;)

The question for you is how serious is the cantamination and what issues are you seeing?
And government could easily remove the incentive to sell dodgy fuel by having a compulsory servo tank insurance scheme. All servos pay into the fund and it covers the replacement or repair costs of the tank if it’s compromised.

I’m quite sure there’s plenty of servos with fuel tanks “made by Alfa Romeo” that are rusting away and they are well aware of it but they don’t want to bear the cost of replacing the tanks.

If we have to have compulsory insurance to drive on the road then make them have compulsory insurance to prevent cars being damaged or destroyed by water in the fuel.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
And government could easily remove the incentive to sell dodgy fuel by having a compulsory servo tank insurance scheme. All servos pay into the fund and it covers the replacement or repair costs of the tank if it’s compromised.

I’m quite sure there’s plenty of servos with fuel tanks “made by Alfa Romeo” that are rusting away and they are well aware of it but they don’t want to bear the cost of replacing the tanks.

If we have to have compulsory insurance to drive on the road then make them have compulsory insurance to prevent cars being damaged or destroyed by water in the fuel.
Or just have the EPA inspect servo’s to ensure that they are complying with pollution laws and that their tanks don’t leak (fuel gas leak out, contaminants leak in) and are thus able to contain the fuel in a safe manner.

And the other state regulators can test pump volume is accurate and that the delivered fuel quality meets the standards. And the EPA standards should be tightened so that the tank testing is automated and logs data with the regulator itself (including fuel volume deliver into the tank verses fuel volume sold as I’m sure there is a lager discrepancy than evaporation can account for)…

Then another compulsory insurance scheme wouldn’t be needed as contamination wouldn’t occur as frequently.

(And we know how poorly compulsory insurance can works from the Porter Davis Housing collapse where some 700 people who signed contracts and paid deposits were not given the compulsory insurance certificate that law requires :eek: )

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Or just have the EPA inspect servo’s to ensure that they are complying with pollution laws and that their tanks don’t leak (fuel gas leak out, contaminants leak in) and are thus able to contain the fuel in a safe manner.

And the other state regulators can test pump volume is accurate and that the delivered fuel quality meets the standards. And the EPA standards should be tightened so that the tank testing is automated and logs data with the regulator itself (including fuel volume deliver into the tank verses fuel volume sold as I’m sure there is a lager discrepancy than evaporation can account for)…

Then another compulsory insurance scheme wouldn’t be needed as contamination wouldn’t occur as frequently.

(And we know how poorly compulsory insurance can works from the Porter Davis Housing collapse where some 700 people who signed contracts and paid deposits were not given the compulsory insurance certificate that law requires :eek: )
I was giving the government the easy way out with compulsory insurance as we all know how little they like policing businesses. Seeing as they can’t even police compulsory insurance properly though what hope have we got….

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I was giving the government the easy way out with compulsory insurance as we all know how little they like policing businesses. Seeing as they can’t even police compulsory insurance properly though what hope have we got….
Seeing how Canberra is full of the nonbinary gendered land rights for gay whale spouting political activism, I’d say these days we’ve got little to no hope :rolleyes:o_O

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Seeing how Canberra is full of the nonbinary gendered land rights for gay whale spouting political activism, I’d say these days we’ve got little to no hope :rolleyes:o_O
Got to concentrate on the important stuff hey. :rolleyes:

IMO both sides (woke and unwoke) are being played by the MSM. They stir as much controversy as possible as long as it’s not about the 1% who controls all of the wealth and all of the MSM, but I digress.