Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve OTR intake

Marsh9696

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ve sports wagon
I have been thinking about changing the air intake on my 2010 series II ve

And was wondering was it a straight forward take the old one off and out the new one on
I was planning on OTR just wondering what brands are good?

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Not really, the more direct air flow with a higher CMF will throw errors these can be cleared and the computer will self adjust a bit to suit but 90% of people recommend a tune once all mods are complete (exhaust etc)

If you go MAFless a tune is a 100% must

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Duspeed is a fantastic OTR, super high quality, painted whatever colour you like, comes with matching airbox infill panel also painted. Note he only does MAF OTR's now for VE's but if you want to go mafless the tuner just turns it off in the tune which is good cause if you get pulled over it looks like the maf is still in use. Duspeed also comes with an IAT extension and the intake air temp is moved up the front not left in the MAF lilke the others so does not suffer heat soak as bad when reading IAT's.

Only other brand I'd consider with the Duspeed is the new Harrop OTR as the way its in 2 pieces and clamps around the panel filter means a guaranteed seal and definitely won't let anything through when the filter shrinks a bit.

Just my opinion.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
If I had my time again I'd go DuSpeed, the original that performs and looks the best by far. I have Orrsom which gets results and works fine, easy to clean, $200 less.
Another option that gets results and looks good is RotoFab, but it's not an OTR, better setup in original location.

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
The are different, I've had em up close and personal. Harrop have their own made out of much thicker plastic than the VCM and the harrop one has the panel filter sitting in the middle of the OTR more towards the maf and the OTR itself is 2 halves that clamp around the filter creating a perfect seal that won't matter when the material around the outside of the K n N filter shrinks a bit. VCM's are built to make them profit and where the panel filter sits I believe the shrinkage issue is now starting to become an issue for them.

In terms of build quality and performance the Duspeed is the best and is made from fibreglass that looks like polished glass the finish is that good and suffers less from heatsoak and is stronger than the plastic ones. I know Dus personally and he is always tweaking his design and the material of his panel filter to keep improving it and oversome any shrinkage issues, the Duspeed filter slides out in 10 seconds for cleaning and requires no pulling apart to do that like the VCM one.

Sorry Pirate but I think the Orssom ones are a bad design. they don't take any air from down in front of the radiator with the scoop like the others and a couple of designers all say that minimal if any air gets in through the top part like the orssom one banks on. I'd like to see what they do on the dyno with the bonnet down not up....

Harrop looks the same as VCM

HARROP | Engine

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Sorry Pirate but I think the Orssom ones are a bad design. they don't take any air from down in front of the radiator with the scoop like the others and a couple of designers all say that minimal if any air gets in through the top part like the orssom one banks on. I'd like to see what they do on the dyno with the bonnet down not up....

Yeah a lot of people say that, I even believed it for a while and put in a 1000 CFM air dam just in case my engine was suffocating and Sonny was tricking everyone. But seeing the fastest G8 runs one, and there was nothing wrong with the power I was getting, I realised the issue between OTRs is not CFM as much as placement of the IAT sensor.

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
I have the VCM maf version and I think its good, although the way the filter sits in the housing could be a better design imo. It looks good and looks OEM as well, especially with the infill panels. Its does the job its designed for, easy to install and im happy with it. Had mine on the car for a month before having it tuned and it didn't throw a CEL, but you will need a tune regardless, bit pointless putting it on otherwise.