Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE overheated today and fan stays on need help as too why

mattytess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp berlina
Ok for the last few weeks I've smelt coolant and thought nothing of it and my fan stays on sometimes when you turn off the car. I have to out the key back in and turn it for the fan to come off. Really strange. Well today after going for a 30 min drive and sitting in traffic for 10 mins the car beeped and said it was too hot. Looked at the temp and it was right up near H. After an hour I topped up the cooling system and it took 2L of coolant. Why would I loose that much coolant when there is no visible leaks and it was serviced a few weeks ago. Also why does the fan stay on. Are these problems related an what could it be.

Shamous69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09
You could smell coolant and thought nothing of it?
Umm Anyway.. IF coolant was replaced then there may have been an air lock in the cooling system.. if this is the case top up the radiator and idle it for several mins whilte topping it up to be sure its full.
The fan would probably stay on as a protection system to attempt to cool a warmer than normal engine.
Another thing to check, oil condition (coloiur) and level. Coolant loss with no physical signs could indicate possible head gasket failure (hopefully not).

I always watch my temp gauge at least once a minute in all driving conditions.. This habit has paid off at least 3 times in the past too.. have caught blown hoses before any damage occured. Anything over 1/3 or 1/2 on the temp gauge in a VE is sufficient reason to pull over and inspect. If it was in the red then hopefully it hasn't gotten too hot and caused head damage.

Cheap diagnosis if you aren't mechanically minded would be the get a radiator shop to do a pressure test & go from there.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
How much fluid is in the overflow?

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
fan stays on to help cool the car down....

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS DEC 2007
The fan will stay on even if you turn your car off if the engine is to hot, that is normal and it will time out.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Go and get it pressure tested. Check your heater hoses. Up under the d/s engine cover.

Smelling coolant isnt normal. You shouldnt be ignoring abnormal smells. The fan stays on to help cool the engine down because it's hotter than it should be. By cancelling this out you're letting it sit there hot. Not a good idea.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
If its losing coolant and there are no leaks, it means its going into the engine (aka headgasket or inlet manifold gasket) and is getting sent through the cylinders or into the oil

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
If its losing coolant and there are no leaks, it means its going into the engine (aka headgasket or inlet manifold gasket) and is getting sent through the cylinders or into the oil
Not always.