Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Owners Check Your Bolts

freddyfinn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
My brother in-law has now been without his 08 SV6 for the past week due to both rear control arm bolts snapping.

Both rear wheels were hanging by a thread held in place by the struts and good fortune.

The Holden dealer has repaired the vehicle under warranty and commented that this is the first time they had seen this happen. The dealer said to my brother in law that he was very lucky indeed.

I would hate to see someone injured or killed if the rear end falls appart while driving.
This will be something to keep an eye on and might just lead to another recall.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
ive never heard of this issue before.... ever. sounds like a once off, so I seriously doubt a recall will be in order.

to snap both rear arm control bolts would take a crapload of force. car wasnt dropped from a jack or something was it?

freddyfinn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
ive never heard of this issue before.... ever. sounds like a once off, so I seriously doubt a recall will be in order.

to snap both rear arm control bolts would take a crapload of force. car wasnt dropped from a jack or something was it?

A varity of problems could have lead to the failure. All it takes is a faulty batch of bolts or contamination by a forign substance even a rattle gun at the factory not being calibrated properly. It could even have been a line worker not assembling the components correctly.

You must remember that these problems when confined to a batch may only effect a small number of vehicles built around the same time. You also have to take into account the type of driving and distance the car travels before the problem arises.

The vehicle was inspected by Holden who found the failure was not due to neglect or misuse and the repair was carried out under warranty.

There always has to be a first and this has certainly grabbed GM's attention.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
The vehicle was inspected by Holden who found the failure was not due to neglect or misuse and the repair was carried out under warranty.

There always has to be a first and this has certainly grabbed GM's attention.

You're 100% right. That fact that Holden repaired under warranty means it was a legitimate issue, and yes there has to be 'a first'. I was simply suggesting that it's a very rare problem to occur at all, and if it was a faulty batch (as oppposed to a rare fault in your particular car), something this serious would have surely been picked up by now.

Then again, Prius immediately pops to mind ;).

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
its how the handle things when they find a fault that makes them a good or bad car maker

freddyfinn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
You're 100% right. That fact that Holden repaired under warranty means it was a legitimate issue, and yes there has to be 'a first'. I was simply suggesting that it's a very rare problem to occur at all, and if it was a faulty batch (as oppposed to a rare fault in your particular car), something this serious would have surely been picked up by now.

Then again, Prius immediately pops to mind ;).

Holden sent out a tech team that photographed the vehicle, checked the the bolts and took them away for testing. They are supposed to be preparing a report on the issue.

Unfortunately serious problems sometimes take a long time to surface. The V8 Commodore fuel line routing issue was one. At least if people are aware there could potentially be a problem they may take the vehicle to be inspected sooner rather than later. The other problem is disclosure of issues which all manufacturers dont like doing.

its how the handle things when they find a fault that makes them a good or bad car maker

Thats dead right however I would like to to see Holden reengineer some of the parts they know are prone to failure like the plastic seat trims for instance. I have done 7000Km's and the plastic seat trim on the drivers seat has already split. I am surprised that this part actually made it through initial testing during the development stage along with the retention points they used on the center console foot well trims. Oh well we live in hope.

panthergreen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS karma blue

Thats dead right however I would like to to see Holden reengineer some of the parts they know are prone to failure like the plastic seat trims for instance. I have done 7000Km's and the plastic seat trim on the drivers seat has already split. I am surprised that this part actually made it through initial testing during the development stage along with the retention points they used on the center console foot well trims. Oh well we live in hope.[/QUOTE]

my drivers side seat trim has split and broken as well, haven't taken it to holden for them to look at yet but its good to know others have had it happen too....