Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE ping plus intermittent check engine light

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sportwagon 3.0 International SIDI – and old Chevs.
I have two things happening (ongoing) with our VE wagon.

The check engine light comes on every now and again but always resets itself. Sometimes it can be on for a day ... either times just a short period. Same has happened in the past and my local mechanic has scanned and reset. (Would not be a full tilt GM scan tool ... just a third party thing.) In all instance, the running of the car has not seen any noticeable change.

Not coinciding with the check engine light issue, but I get a daily prominent loud pinging sounds. Fuel is alternates between 91 and 95 (non-ethanol) so I don't think that is the issue. Oddly, it does not happen under load, more at idle and light throttle take-off – when I give it more gas the pinging always stops.

I wonder if they are related issues?

Timing chain has been done – engine is at 170K.

Any thoughts? (Trying to avoid going to a Holden dealer workshop – they are always expensive.)

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Sounds a complex problem,it might be a Dealer job or at the very least an experienced mechanic.
Try a couple of tankfuls of 98 and see what happens.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Could just be partially clogged fuel injectors making it run too lean on part throttle. As advised above run a few tanks of 98 through it and maybe some injector cleaner.

Would be useful to know what the code was that was setting off the check engine light. Might provide more clues into what is going on.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Would be useful to know what the code was that was setting off the check engine light. Might provide more clues into what is going on.

Getting my local guy to run his scanner tomorrow morning. Will come back with codes.

Reaction score
Members Ride
So I took the car around to my regular local mechanic and, of course, the warning lights were not displaying nor was it pinging! And apparently there is no history of errors for the scan tool to read off.

But, from what I described he was 100% sure it would be an oxygen sensor ... and to replace all four, not just the one. (And yes, bring it back when the warning lights are on again.)

Make sense?

Further comments?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
so rather than pay holden to diagnose, you are going to take a $400 guess