Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE - Radiator Problems?

FallenE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Hey all,

I have had a bit of a search and can't seem to find the problem here.

Noticed a slight vibration a few weeks back when driving or sitting in traffic, happens when the engine temp gets to around 45% or the AC is on.

The husband took it to the mechanics last week as it was due for the 175, 000km service. The mechanic suspected plugs may have been a problem and replaced them too.

Plugs did not fix the issue, today it was much worse, driving for around 10 minutes, watching the temp gauge while sitting in traffic.

Engine temp was sitting fine around 25-30%, slowly came towards half way, thermofans kick in? and I can feel the vibration through the steering wheel and hear an audible ticking noise coming from the front.

The temp was going between 25-70% for the next 20 minutes, it got up to a dash before the red and I pulled over and turned off the ignition. The radiator fans continued to go for a minute or two.

Any troubleshooting we can do before sending it to the mechanics again on monday.

I can't really afford to have a car going back to the mechanics again for the same issue, hope to get it fixed this time.

Thanks for your help.

pnlimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice L98
Assuming the coolant level is OK and there are no leaks in the system, I would be checking the thermostat and radiator cap. A sticking thermostat will cause the temperature to climb then come down after the cooling fans have done their job. Easy replacement on V8's. Vibration could be coming from the cooling fans when running at full speed.

wilskies

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Berlina V8
Same problem with mine...Replaced leaking water pump and changed 1 pulley started making loud squeaky sound...Engine overheats as well when I had the cold air con on high during last summer and I think its common with commodores so I avoid doing that...

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute SS
Sounds like thermostat.
They are pretty easy to replace.
Heres a video on replacing the thermostat on a VE SS (l98)
hope it helps.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute SS
u can check the thermostat. put it in boiling water, see if it opens. If it doesn't it definitely needs replacing.