Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Roof leak

Wilba84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE UTE LLT M6
Sorry forgot to attach pictures

Attachments

• IMG_5798.jpeg
    IMG_5798.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5799.jpeg
    IMG_5799.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 42

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I got the sailplanes off, it seems to be leaking from the crack in the picture. I covered the rear windscreen seal with a towel and poured over the crack and it leaks…

The cracked area is hard like steel but had brush marks like its had a sealant applied then painted over.

Any advice?

I haven’t any experience of the issue, but it does sound remarkably like the seam sealant has cracked. I’m not too sure what the recommended sealant is, but I do recall that the roof-rack fitting instructions list the recommended sealant (as some of it has to be removed and reapplied when fitting the roof racks for the first time). If you can find the roof rack instructions, it’ll list the recommended sealant. The service manual will probably also have it listed.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Will removing the sailplanes make it not waterproof? Just wondering if I can investigate and still use as my daily drive
Yes

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry forgot to attach pictures
There’s where right in the picture.

Get the gutter moulds off. Grab some Sika seam sealer from Bunnings. Buy a couple of cheap brushes. Mask up with Frog Tape. Scrub the area with a scotchbrite and wax and grease remover. Wipe over with IPA. Reapply seam sealer and brush over to tidy it up. Do the gutters too. Problem solved.

Reactions: mtd

Wilba84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE UTE LLT M6

Get the gutter moulds off. Grab some Sika seam sealer from Bunnings. Buy a couple of cheap brushes. Mask up with Frog Tape. Scrub the area with a scotchbrite and wax and grease remover. Wipe over with IPA. Reapply seam sealer and brush over to tidy it up. Do the gutters too. Problem solved.
Do the gutter moulds have seals or can I hit the whole lot with seam sika and can I just go straight over the top after ive cleaned it or do I need to remove some?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The gutter trims pop off using a nylon trim tool. Be gentle. The clips are hard to get. They are expensive to get as well.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Do the gutter moulds have seals or can I hit the whole lot with seam sika and can I just go straight over the top after ive cleaned it or do I need to remove some?
Personally, I would carefully Vee out the crack in the seam sealer with a sharp knife so as to be better able to pack the crack with fresh seam sealer rather than just brush over it.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Personally, I would carefully Vee out the crack in the seam sealer with a sharp knife so as to be better able to pack the crack with fresh seam sealer rather than just brush over it.
An art shop would be a good place to get a tool for that. Theres chisel like tools in a v shape they use for working with clay.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8

2nd that. My roof was leaking via a seam seal and the sealant worked a treat. Little (big) buggers these leaks. I gave the gutter trims a spruce up while fixing the roof leak too. Amazing how much crap gets underneath them.:(

Wilba84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE UTE LLT M6
2nd that. My roof was leaking via a seam seal and the sealant worked a treat. Little (big) buggers these leaks. I gave the gutter trims a spruce up while fixing the roof leak too. Amazing how much crap gets underneath them.:(
I went with white Sika 227, just finished and its not real pretty and maybe abit thick but none of it should be visible

Attachments

• IMG_5808.jpeg
    IMG_5808.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5807.jpeg
    IMG_5807.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 29