Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Rough Idle & High Fuel Consumption

FelwintersLie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
Cleared codes, started the car, idle was crap, maf code came back. Unplugging the maf while the car was running made no difference to the vehicle running. Curiosity got the better of me so I pulled the maf off, it was pretty damn clean inside. Could it be a faulty maf? The car isn't throwing an engine light which I thought was a tad strange.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
they can run without the maf just not as good as a proper SD tune may be reasonable at idle but under a boot if it dosnt go into limp mode top end wont be right, the maf could be faulty best to check it properly if u can

FelwintersLie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
Cheers thanks for the help mate. I'll see what I can do.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sometimes the pins in the wiring plug to the MAF corrode and give bad readings...

FelwintersLie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
Bit of an update. Car went in to the local dealership for a check-up today. O2 sensor codes are probably related to the exhaust, crappy idle is likely due to the cam with no tune. Got a prescription for a dyno tune basically. Might as well do otr at the same time I guess.

Bill Thomas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SSv Redline
Hi all, I've recently bought a V8 Calais, great car but has a couple of small problems. The car has a very rough idle, cold or warm. This is accompanied by a very strong petrol smell. It struggles so bad that it stalled twice in gear at a give way sign this morning, in the cold. It also suffers from high fuel consumption, upwards of 23l/100km around town, driving like an absolute grandpa.
I bought the car from a dealer, so I have been unable to contact the previous owner, but I have since discovered through receipts, that the car had noisy lifters and camshaft wear, so it had a GM Motorsports Super Stock cam fitted. It also has an xforce exhaust. I am unable to find any evidence that the has been tuned. Could this cam and exhaust combo be the cause of my idle issue?
Thanks heaps for your help.
Hi, had the same problem. The ecu is dumping to much fuel into the motor. Basically it's like having a choke on full. At first it was an intermittent problem however over time the problem Got worse to the point we had clouds of white unburnt fuel coming out of the exhausts and you could smell the vaporized fuel. I needed to take the car into a Holden dealer to reset the ecu and do a software update. I hope this has helped.