Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE series 1 IQ upgrade wiring issue..colours all mismatched!

aerobr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Jeep SRT8, WM Caprice, VE Wagon
Howdy guys,
Haven't posted on a forum in yrs but this is doing my head in lol

After being up til 430 this morning I'm putting this out there...IQ conversion all done...apart from the loom!

I've pored over zerone's wiring write ups here and on carmodder, and my wiring in factory radio plug just doesn't match up with the series 1 pin out diagram. I'm not new to wiring but its been awhile..just cant get my head into this bastard lol I have different colours and too many orange/blue power wires in x1/x2 plug it seems...and a heap missing in x3 and x4 it seems!

Before I try to repin the t harness adaptor I have here I'm gonna grab some sleep before work and put couple pics up here for anyone to see if anything seems glaringly obvious to them...

20160815_233430.jpg

20160815_233438.jpg

20160815_233444.jpg

20160815_233452.jpg

Cheers guys!
Todd

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
envyus customs is the guy who could help best here.

Castlo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Sorry I can't help any man but thinking about doing the conversion aswell, you'll have to post back pics once it's all up and running!!:)

aerobr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Righto woke up and had a fresh look...i attacked it from different perspective. What did iq need...then probed my s1 wiring and removed anything iq didn't need and put the canbus, power and grounds etc where it needed them and fingers crossed...worked!

So easy to over think this one guys. .not like the old headunit audio setups I did back in the day!
Wqs bit of a rush before work, but powered up fine with the security lockout screen and ac cranked lol
Quick program to Vin link and enable everything and away it went.

I'll run a patch lead to blue tooth mic on weekend and worry about usb and aux down track if at all.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Glad you got it sorted mate. Hate it when you're working into the night to get something finished and its something you've done similar to heaps before and shouldn't have too much trouble with just stops making any sense and you can't figure it out. Finally to give up, and have it gnawing at you all the next day. Then you look at it again and can't figure out why you couldn't do it last night.

Again, apologies for the PM. Got a notice on today's one, so I must've stuffed up not noticing the first one. (And so happy reading this I didn't have to work it out with wiring diagrams. I was sure it'd be rather hard if you didn't sort it, having done this stuff before).

aerobr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Haha thanks mate all good! Took me all of 20mins once I had ny head thinking again and worked thru the basics. Obviously few different wiring con figs based on level of unit originally fitted which us what stuffed me up.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Seeing the new Alpine set up, this has far more appeal now than an IQ upgrade.
I believe S1 owners are at a slight advantage now being able to do a simple swap. s2 owners would have to convert some dash parts to s1 to do it.
The new Alpine HVAC touch screen looks the goods. The bunky old HVAC control was what put us off using Alpine.

Now Alpine do a Carplay deck which brings features far in advance of the existing IQ option.
With IQ your iPhone won't be able to make bluetooth calls via hands free. It can receive them, but not make them.

VE.png

aerobr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mate has the Alpine setup in his Maloo...to be honest I hate using the thing mate! **** everywhere and maybe im just getting old lol

On another note, my IQ seems to have lost time today...is there perhaps another 12v positive im supposed to have connected as memory??lol

aerobr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Righto uodate:

All running well, bluetooth mic etc wired up.
Replaced speakers. ..and my god no bottom end at all! So this apparently is common for these things?
One confusing thing...everyone says to leave the speaker wiring alone when doing the series 1 to 2 conversion, now what seems off to me is the fact that going off the diagrams the front speakers have opposite + & - when you upgrade to iq...however the rears seem to already be out of phase? Anyone noticed this?
My factory rear speaker wiring matched the series 2 colour from diagram...my front wiring matched the series 1 wiring! !?