Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series 2, 3.0 L SIDI Thermo Fan

golden brewer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ute
Does the VE series II 3 litre engine have one thermo fan or two?
According to the manual, if you have a 3L engine and wish to tow up to 1600 kg you need the auxialliary cooling package. I took my ute to an auto transmission place today to see if he could fit a cooler to it. He said a cooler shouldn't be fitted on the six speed autos because of the transmission fluid used. He said he rang Holden and they told him if I wished to tow I should have twin thermo fans and that is what the auxilliary cooling package is. My car has two fans fitted so I assumed that was standard.
Is it standard or not or has the auto transmission bloke got it wrong.

stubec16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe Sportswagon LPG
Cooling package for 3.0l consists of an extra fan (had this out with dealer when I wanted auto trans cooler). Sorry don't know how many are standard. BTW no (factory) cooling package recommended for 3.6l.

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
Go to Holden spare parts and ask them what the package includes. Pretty sure it is it is a gearbox cooler that sits in front of the radiator. I have the 5 speed and have had so many gearbox places tell me wrong information as they ate new and haven't dealt with them much.

golden brewer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ute
Had a chat today with the spare parts bloke at my local Holden dealer.
He told me that all 3.0L Omegas have two fans. The "auxiliary cooling package" is two fans as well but are a bigger fan. He couldn't tell me the dimensions of the standard fan so I'll have to find a series II Omega and measure the fans and compare them to mine.