Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series 2 "Z" Series Audio.

gsh1970

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV ute XYZ XYZ
mines a ute - dynamatted throughtout cabin and doors, arc amp under drivers seat, dynaudio 242 splits - very happy. I got quote on dynamat via email as that was the first step and also got quote for amp and speakers via email -was cheaper to get prewired for amp and speakers whilst they were doing the dynamatt - when I had the cash they installed the amp and later did the speakers

Dad's Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Series 2 "Z" Series Ute
Thanks gsh.
I have a bulk pack of Dyna Matt already and that will be going into the doors and behind the rear panel in behind the seats.

I've been talking with some installers today. One has recommended this Focal Sub that's recently been released:-
IBUS 2.1 COMPACT SUB $679 | Focal Car Audio Australia

Seems like a good idea for a Ute as the Sub Amp and two channel amp are all in the one enclosure.

Another installer said they've been successful using a Hertz system including a HDP 4 Amp and HSK 6.5 splits and two 10 inch subs which they install into the panels in behind the seats where only the grilles are visible. No sub enclosures are required. It appears to be a full two day install so I may part with the cash and have them do it.

They've had nothing but positive feedback from customers with this system but I'm worried about having two subs in a Ute cabin and what they might do to my healthy kidneys. They've assured me it has the timber without an overpowering punch.

I'll go and speak with them in the New Year and in the mean time I'll keep researching. I was impressed because they answered my email comprehensively and also were helpful on the phone when I rang despite being busy.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
I was actually going to suggest the IBUS 2.1 but looked at the power for the amp and it's only 55rms for each channel so I didn't mention it.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Commodore is a mass produced vehicle aimed at the lower end of the market. If you wanted a great sound system then I suggest that you would have most likely paid an extra $50,000 - $100,000 Makes it an expensive sound system - doesn't it. I suggest that you enjoy your car - for what it is. If you want (desire/crave) a superior sound system then I suggest that you purchase whatever you can afford and have it installled. Hope you're happy then. Good luck.

Dad's Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Benboy.
Just so you know where I am coming from......I also own a 2012 Mazda 3 Maxx Sport. It's the second Maxx Sport I've owned. The previous was a 2010. I'm on a farm so I also require a Ute. My wife has a Mazda 6 Luxury Sports which has the premium Bose audio system. That's old technology now but it's still an adequate audio system.

The "Z" is a mid 30k priced car.
The Mazda 3 after options cost me $28,000. We're talking a 6k difference.

I made a mistake in my expectations of the Ute. I've always owned a Holden Ute and I guess I wanted to remain faithful to the product.

The Mazda runs rings around it in every area...........including audio. It's also better appointed and ergonomically better designed despite the 6k difference. Mazda have really got their act together and their sales figures prove it.

If the SV-6 had a sound system which just matched the Mazda 3 then I wouldn't be on this Forum or wasting countless hours researching systems on-line and talking to people. It would be more than adequate for me. Others will disagree but the Mazda has the mid-range and bass if I push it.

I disagree with you in one area. I don't believe that you require a 50 - 100k car to have a "decent" audio system. Sound is in the ears of the listener. Most mid range cars appear to have above average audio these days. I guess that's where I went wrong with my expectations of the Ute. The SV-6 Ute doesn't have adequate audio and that center speaker fiasco on a 2 channel head proves that.

Unfortunately I can't enjoy the "Z" Series Ute for what it is just yet as you suggest..............in fact right now I hate the thing.

On each Mazda purchase the factory has been right on to me for feedback and suggestions to better their product.

All I've heard from Holden so far is the sound of crickets.

I've learnt a lot thanks to all the folks who take the time to contribute on these Forums.

Dad's Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey Benboy you inspired me with your contribution and kick started my memory.

A friend 10k's down the road has a nice new Diesel Mercedes Sedan that I'd forgotten about. "She" drives the Benz and "he" has an SSV Ute. The SSV wasn't there but the Benz was. Specced with some extra AMG goodies they paid mid 70's for it. MB had a sale on at the time so they paid considerably below RRP.

For the few minutes I had in the Benz it has great audio. I wouldn't say the sound was remarkable or kick ass, but it was certainly everything I'd expect to be associated with that product name and perfectly adequate.

I didn't play with it at all. I listened to it as they had it set. I'll check out the SSV Ute on the weekend.

The audio in the Mercedes was certainly not a system that you would want to rip out of that car and update 2 days after taking delivery of the car.

Having said that though................the owners aren't happy with it at the moment. The system will not let them pair one of their phones to it. They've tried everything so it's off back to the Dealer for a solution!

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
Hey thanks PIR4TE

I agree with the Sportwagon versus the Ute cabin. My "Z" is a Ute. We are talking about a different kettle of fish. From what I've read on the Forums a sub would be overkill for me. I basically just want quality sound and I haven't got that with the standard unit. I've left the center speaker cover off until I decide what to do.

I'm panning through amps and LOC's at the moment and I've been speaking with some installers. The Audsen Bit 10 interface keeps coming up as a great option. There's nothing in the door card removal replacing front splits and rear parcel shelf removal and Dyna Mat installation that I can't do myself. I really think I can do a better job anyway.

What did you do with factory tweeters?

Please keep us updated!!!

I'm looking at going down the 'amp and new speakers, but no sub' path too. :)

Would love to hear how it performs when you get it done. (I'd talk to a professional, but the car won't be hear for another month and a half :()

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
@ Dad's Ute.

I just recently bought a 2011 SSV Ute, with the 'premium' audio package. It has the two 8" subs in side panels behind the seats and thats the only thing different i believe.

Now whilst it isnt the best setup ive heard, and my $1000 budget system in my last ute was much better, it is definatly better than my mates MY12 SV6 Ute. I find his lacks bass and because of the centre speaker the highs are really harsh, thats just to my ears though.

However in my SSV, whilst the two 8" subs do a reasonable job of reproducing the lows, (I listen to everything from hard rock/metal to wob wob dubstep to heavy hip hop and rnb) the subs rattle the s**t out of the plastic liner in the tub and you can noticably hear it standing next to the car even when its on around 15 volume. I am yet to disconnect the centre speaker cos again to me it makes the highs in my music sound harsh. The overall set up is missing the mids. Very noticable when listening to drums double kicking on the likes of blessthefall and etc.

I will eventually upgrade the whole system with quality splits, a processor and a sub or 2 (I like bass haha) in the future though funds are limited atm from buying the ute. When im ready to do this I will be going to FHRX studios in Caringbah, Sydney as Marty helped me out greatly with my last ute.

For the meantime however I will purchase a bulkpack of dynamat and some packing foam if need be to try and get some midbass back on the doors and at least quiten the rattling hopefully.

Just my 2c on the SSV Ute sound system

mshagg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series Ute
Yep SSV 'z' ute here and the audio is much better than I anticipated (based on reviewed from this forum lol), despite the muddled midrange (obviously poor quality drivers but also compounded by the limited EQ options in the IQ system... more options than 'low', 'med' and 'high' would be good). No doubt in my mind that the two subs are shortening the lifespan of the interior's construction.

Which is handy as im not really allowed to mod the thing.

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
Fitting Dynamat on both inner and outer door skins is absolutley critical for decent mid-bass up front. I wouldn't even consider putting splits in without it.