Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series II Headlight crazing

BennoVEIISS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE II SS
I have a Series II SS with 90,000 on the clock. My headlights are crazing on the inside and the Holden Service dept. won't do anything under warranty. The guy claims that this is a result of a petrolium based solvent or cleaner being applied, but I never have. Plus its on the inside...

Any suggestions/experiences?

Gunnazz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I have the same issue, was told the same thing when I went to Holden. I've owned the car since new and have only ever hand washed it. They were happy to try and sell me a new set for around $700 though!

I think the only option at this point is to keep an eye on Ebay for a good second hand set.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I have a set of SS lights that I removed from my VE II SS when it had 1000km on the clock, they are pristine. I bought a set of SSV projector lights so I could put my HID lights in them without blinding other drivers.

Gunnazz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
lights.JPG

Hear you go. Still unsure what has caused it.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
View attachment 167395

Hear you go. Still unsure what has caused it.

It sure as hell wasn't prepsol. Unless you're cleaning your car with MEK or laquer thinners, then that looks like stress cracking to me. You're 100% sure the lights are OE? It can happen if they're moulded wrong, sealed askew, etc. It would be very rare for that to happen so severely if not a manufacturing fault. If it was in line with the headlight, I'd say excessive heat, or perhaps heat build up from a mechanic's pad being draped over it while the light is on - but it looks to be to the side.

edit - the other thing to consider is that polycarbonate lenses are coated with a urethane protective layer to shield against UV and the solvents that the dealership is touting has caused the issue. Prepsol won't remove it, though it will degrade over time (so wax/seal your headlights, peoples). If that coating had degraded to the point where it was not working, there is a very strong chance you'd have hazing or yellowing of the lens to go with it but, aside from the crazing, the lenses appear to be in fairly good condition

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
I have a set of SS lights that I removed from my VE II SS when it had 1000km on the clock, they are pristine. I bought a set of SSV projector lights so I could put my HID lights in them without blinding other drivers.
Your point being...