Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series II - Wheels Magazine.

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
I've heard a lot of good reviews about the kias. Good to know he's happy with it.

I'm not saying I won't buy another commodore. I probably will... But that is because at this stage in my life, my priorities in a car are that it is a V8 that can go round corners. Which rules out things like the XR8 and the 300C. As for the euros (read C63AMG, M3 or RS5) they are well out of my price bracket at the moment.

I picked out the golf R as a comparable vehicle in that it ticks more of the subsidiary 'wants' in a car for me, like build quality, equipment, seat-of-your-pants handling, etc. If I were to look away from the commodore, that is the most logical step for me... Infact, if I put my sensible shoes on, I'd be mad not to go for it. I mean it's a better, more functional, better handling, better equipped, cheaper to run car. But it isn't a V8. And in spite of all the faults and issues I'm currently having with my car, I do love that V8. All the things I don't like about it are outweighed (just) by the things I do like. And if I can just get these issues resolved, I'll be happy as Larry. If not then I might just have to grow up a bit and deny my inner bogan.

I agree "tinsnips", value for money the Commondore is IMHO the best choice in the performance car stakes. Other than buying a secondhand euro-performance car, the best value was buying the ute and modifying it straight away - my total spend was around $60k (off the top of my head). Not bad for a brand new car with power to spare and a head turning exhaust note on idle (and especially at full noise!!).

What's more is that because "it is only a Commodore", I am not as precious about the car as I was when I had my M5.

The only other car that I seriously entertained getting was an E46 M3 for simmilar money - mostly because of the handling, but the day I got the ut back from the tuner I beat my mate's M3 by a good 4-5 cars 0-100km/hr!!

Would I buy another one? - yes as a daily driver/ work ute (I will definatley modify it out of the box again) but next time it will be in combination with something more exotic - something with a clutchless manual gearbox and perhaps two doors... hmm...

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I agree "tinsnips", value for money the Commondore is IMHO the best choice in the performance car stakes. Other than buying a secondhand euro-performance car, the best value was buying the ute and modifying it straight away - my total spend was around $60k (off the top of my head). Not bad for a brand new car with power to spare and a head turning exhaust note on idle (and especially at full noise!!).

What's more is that because "it is only a Commodore", I am not as precious about the car as I was when I had my M5.

The only other car that I seriously entertained getting was an E46 M3 for simmilar money - mostly because of the handling, but the day I got the ut back from the tuner I beat my mate's M3 by a good 4-5 cars 0-100km/hr!!

Would I buy another one? - yes as a daily driver/ work ute (I will definatley modify it out of the box again) but next time it will be in combination with something more exotic - something with a clutchless manual gearbox and perhaps two doors... hmm...

hmmmm.. a mate of mine is being subjected to her husband trying to convince her that it's a good idea to jump on the waiting list for a brand spankers 458. Told her I agree with him.. makes great strategic and socioeconomic sense... plus.. I wanna borrow it if he gets it! She's told him he has to sell the other TWO.. yes two.. Fezzas to compensate! Such is life.

It's going to sound like a broken record but when you look at the well overused term "bang for your buck" the only thing that comes close to an SS or a derivative of, is the new Golf R at a hair under 50 grand. The R32 was too heavy and barely quicker than the GTI. Even an EVO or STI are a fair chunk of change over the price of an SS and that's before you get to the European stakes.

There just isn't anything out there to compete with the guts and the noise that these things offer for this sort of money and with such low running costs (comparatively). And like you said, with aftermarket assistance and some change you find down the back of the couch, you can get some pretty serious numbers out of the thing. It's the mantra of muscle cars that you start with a basic car - and build on it until it's good - but the VEs seem to be one of the few 'muscle cars' that doesn't baulk at a corner. Big picture, they're a great car - let down but annoying niggles. Simple as that.

oh.. and 2 door exotic - how about an Audi RS5? Now that looks fun and would be out by the time you're ready for it! But then, for that money, you could almost get an R35 GTR.