Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve ss 2 1/2'' vs 3'' cat back exhausts ?

splcrazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GEN-F VF CLUBSPORT SV 340
ok so after getting my pacemaker headers and hiflow cats , i have a 2 1/2'' cat back on it with x pipe and it just doesnt sound right to me it just still sounds too quiet and not deep enough for my liking . im also thinking of getting a stage 1 cam later on so im thinking right now of getting a 3inch catback exhaust done to this thing while i save up for the cam work later . question is what brand ? D' filipo 3inch is the only one that sounds killer to me me right now. Whats a 3 inch fillipo exhaust cost $ for a ve ss ? or should i get a custom made 3inch catback ? i hear too many people complain of the x force not sounding good enough ? even my bosses brother doesnt like his full xforce exhaust on his ve clubsport ute , he says it just doesnt sound good enough to him lol .
what are the pro's and cons of going 3inch ?

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Pros: Louder
Cons: Louder, Drones depending on system.

Thats about it. Going 3" is not going to solve the issues of overall **** sound, its just going to amplify the **** sound.

What sound are you chasing? Youve made a few threads asking the same question in different ways.

Do you want barky/raspy/deep or do you just want noise?

What have you got now, is it stainless or mild steel?

splcrazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
i want it to be barky and more deeper sounding . mine is mild steel .

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
With a cam, 3" will be loud and raspy and will drone with the wrong system. You will need something with a muffler in the front to take out the raspy drony note.

Manta do a twin 3" with H pipe, front muffler and hotdogs and rear mufflers that is nice and deep and will not drone or sound crap. I do them for $1695 shipped.

No matter what you get now, the cat pipes will need modifying to fit the cat back. Each cat back is designed to fit their own cat pipes as they all make them different for the VE-VF.

3onTree

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline Sportswagon
Many of us have contemplated this very question. Ozgarage (HP-F) did a fantastic video on the subject Oz Garage S02E09 Online - Exhaust Comparo | OzGarage

Note that in their video the power gains were greatest with the larger diameter 4-1 headers. At the very end you will hear Marty say that their testing showed that with the 1 7/8 headers there was no difference in power between the 2.5 and 3.0 inch catback.

From my experience, I found that heads and cam upgrade increase the sound volume and changed the frequency of the sound massively. Might be an idea to see how you feel about the exhaust note after you change cam.

splcrazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Many of us have contemplated this very question. Ozgarage (HP-F) did a fantastic video on the subject Oz Garage S02E09 Online - Exhaust Comparo | OzGarage

Note that in their video the power gains were greatest with the larger diameter 4-1 headers. At the very end you will hear Marty say that their testing showed that with the 1 7/8 headers there was no difference in power between the 2.5 and 3.0 inch catback.

From my experience, I found that heads and cam upgrade increase the sound volume and changed the frequency of the sound massively. Might be an idea to see how you feel about the exhaust note after you change cam.
thanks for that comment with the video helped clearing out alot of questions , good to see there is good people on here that genuinely help instead of going into my profile and spying on all the threads i made accusing me of making similar threads .

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
instead of going into my profile and spying on all the threads i made accusing me of making similar threads .

Would you like a tin foil hat?

Profile's are there to be viewed so how do you determine someone is spying?

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
thanks for that comment with the video helped clearing out alot of questions , good to see there is good people on here that genuinely help instead of going into my profile and spying on all the threads i made accusing me of making similar threads .

I asked you what you wanted from the exhaust so we could further help you. I get accused of spying for actually trying to help someone.

I can see youve made similar threads because I visit the dam VE forums often and see youve posted in and created several threads within in.

Sigh. I should just stick to banning and trolling idiots.

splcrazy

Reaction score
Members Ride

thanks for the video mate , cheers and thumbs up .

Major Herbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
'10 Pontiac G8 Manual '10 VE SV6 Manual
I asked you what you wanted from the exhaust so we could further help you. I get accused of spying for actually trying to help someone.

I can see youve made similar threads because I visit the dam VE forums often and see youve posted in and created several threads within in.

Sigh. I should just stick to banning and trolling idiots.

Might be more fun banning people as well.