Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Cold Starting issue - fixed by fuel brand change - WTF

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
I have mentioned my starting issues in another thread but I decided to start a new post.

Progressively over the last 18 Months, cold starting has been erratic. Sometimes it sounds like its trying to backfire when cranking but the auto engage keeps on spinning and it starts. Other times its like its flooded and slowly cranks and starts firing on odd cylinders until it clears itself and all is good.
Remember this is only when its cold (first start in the morning).
I have always used Caltex 98 fuel. For the last couple of tanks I've used Shell 98 and the cold starting issue is gone.

Any ideas to what my problem would be? or just don't use Caltex!

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Every manufacturer uses different blends. I personally use BP Ultimate 98. I think Shell and BP are the top 2 when it comes to performance but I think United is pretty good as well.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Once I have experienced a similar issue where the car refused to fire up. It was just after buying fuel from a different servo. Never has a problem with BP or Shell 98 fuels, but had to use a different brand and suffered. Thankfully didn't put a full tank in, so went back to one of my usual places and topped up - problem hasn't come back. So I wouldn't use that servo again, and am a little hesitant on the brand. Just remember, it could be that one servo is dodgy, or it could be the Caltex blend. So I wouldn't completely rule out Caltex (but personally would go elsewhere if there's a choice), but I would rule our that servo. That is assuming you have been filling at the same servo most of the time.

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
Thanks for the replies guys.
It's an unusual issue. Have always used Vortex but get it from various outlets so I don't think a contam or batch issue is at play here.
Apart from actual fuel brands, I was thinking a little deeper and the possibility of an ignition timing issue on start up when cold. Maybe the Vortex fuel properties just make this more pronounced than the V-Power?
Could be just my car. Maybe there is a fault somewhere... ofcourse Holden say she's right mate!

I have fired a question off to Caltex Tech to see if they devoldge anything (friend works there).

Senator829

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 HSV Senator & 2012 RG Colorado LTZ
Years ago when I had my ve tuned it had caltex in it. At the top end it wasn't happy. When speaking to the tuner he advised to only use bp and at worst shell.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Sounds reasonable, BP Ultimate polished my ride off, cold start, idle, detonation. I won't touch Caltex again.

Janesey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s pac
i only ever use bp, was warned to never use shell, had no option one day and put a tank in my bike, safe to say i dumped all the fuel that night and cost me a new filter as well. but then ive got mates that swear by shell, i personally only use bp ultimate have done since it came out

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Personal preference is for BP Ultimate. Failing that Shell V-Power. I used to exclusively use Caltex Vortex 98 but either it's gotten worse over the years, or the others have gotten a whole lot better.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
i only ever use bp, was warned to never use shell, had no option one day and put a tank in my bike, safe to say i dumped all the fuel that night and cost me a new filter as well. but then ive got mates that swear by shell, i personally only use bp ultimate have done since it came out

Agree BP Ultimate is good, but I doubt the efficacy of using high octane in your model, having a CR of 8.4:1 when new 25 years ago.
It is literally hosing an extra 20¢ x 63 litres (or about $10 each fill) down the filler neck when PULP 95 is overkill.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
I have to partially disagree with you on that one Pir4te. From personal experience with my VN, I found Optimax (or whatever Shell call it) to be worth it. After many years being a standard fuel car, early in the day of these premium ones I decided to see how it went despite being told it was a complete waste. On the first fill my fuel economy improved a little, a little more on the second tank (by this stage it was just better value than standard), and more again on the third tank. It pretty much evened off after that. So it was cheaper to run the 98 at that stage. Now the guessing as to why. Personally I think it was more the cleaning properties of the Optimax rather than the octane, as I also found the fuel economy back on standard fuel was better than it had been, though not quite as good as the Optimax. So I stuck with the good stuff - however I didn't redo the tests properly to see if it was still better value. So even with older cars, I recommend to mates to at least use premium fuel every now and again to increase the longevity of the engine and keep it cleaner. I do agree that the gains wont be as good as it would be in a car designed for it though, and maybe it isn't worth always using it.