Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Cold Starting issue - fixed by fuel brand change - WTF

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
^^ wow, happy to hear that it is worth the extra $. Have you tried e10? I reckon it would be ideal as it does as above, is 93-95RON and has as good if not better cleaning properties.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
^^ wow, happy to hear that it is worth the extra $. Have you tried e10? I reckon it would be ideal as it does as above, is 93-95RON and has as good if not better cleaning properties.

Damn fine point there. No I didn't. This was back when Optimax was a new thing, I don't think E10 was available back then. Or if it was, the pundits were saying the fuel lines would spontaneously vaporise and the engine would self detonate in the VN if it saw a drop of E10. Now the VE is purely a 98 car (mine is), so haven't thought about E10. I might have to edit my advice to include E10, I forget to even consider it an option.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Is yours E85 compatible? Might be worth a try...

d1ll1g4f

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SS Z-Series M6
I have mentioned my starting issues in another thread but I decided to start a new post.

Progressively over the last 18 Months, cold starting has been erratic. Sometimes it sounds like its trying to backfire when cranking but the auto engage keeps on spinning and it starts. Other times its like its flooded and slowly cranks and starts firing on odd cylinders until it clears itself and all is good.
Remember this is only when its cold (first start in the morning).
I have always used Caltex 98 fuel. For the last couple of tanks I've used Shell 98 and the cold starting issue is gone.

Any ideas to what my problem would be? or just don't use Caltex!

I've just switched from Caltex Vortex 98 to BP Ultimate because Cold Start had similar problems to what you described. Probably not surprising considering BP has a refinery in W.A and all other servos import their fuel. I've also found that idling when stationary is now smoother since the switch.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
I only use Caltex (Woolworths) Vortex 98 .. or at a pinch Coles (Shell) 98
on any of my VE V8s (now on number4) and never a problem... running or starting.

good power ( I tow my race car around the countryside so its needed) and good fuel economy
around town (wagon is a manual). I normally see at least 500... sometimes 540 kms to empty
after a fill when resetting the computer and even better out on the freeway with it showing
around 8lt/100km

have not used BP (any BP) in years since getting a tankful in one of my bikes... that was 1/3rd water :(

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
As I mentioned earlier, I sent my enquiry to Caltex head office to see if they had any concerns with my dis-like of their Vortex 98 product. This was their reply:

The components in Premium Unleaded 98 that have high octane are not very volatile. So when the engine is cold you don’t have enough vapours to support combustion when the spark fires, of if you do, it still runs a bit rough until the engine warms up and the fuel is more easily vaporised.

The key test parameters for cold driveability are determined by the Driveability Index. When Refiners blend Premium Unleaded 98, they blend to the distillation spec which may result in varying degrees of DI which can then vary the result on cold start and driveability.

In other words, the cold start properties as measured by the Driveability Index can vary from batch to batch, and company to company. It is not related to the additive in either Vortex or VPower.

Okay, then why does Shell 98 start better. Why is it different to Caltex 98????

I have heard that VF injection was revised to assist starting with various fuel mixes. I'm thinking that Holden and the fuel suppliers know of the issue but are reluctant to let the buying public know:banstick:

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Why are you kicking up such a fuss over it? Just switch to Shell 98, BP Ultimate or United 98, 100 and be happy. Caltex is cheaper for a reason.

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
Why are you kicking up such a fuss over it? Just switch to Shell 98, BP Ultimate or United 98, 100 and be happy. Caltex is cheaper for a reason.
It's called discussion. Forum's are sometimes used for this...
If your not interested then don't read it. Your view will not be missed!

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I've only used Caltex 98 in mine. I've never had any issues with it, but based on what I've read here I'm going to trial BP 98. I tried to get E85 in Canberra recently but couldn't. Will definitely try it next time I'm there though.

Thumpin,

Is your VE stock or has it been tuned / otherwise modified?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
426Cuda...
United Fyshwick
289 Canberra Avenue
ACT 2609
Phone: (02) 6239 1937
Opening Hours: 24 hours

Flex your fuel mate :yarr: