Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS instant fuel usage

Kenny42

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute
G'Day All,
Have a newish VE SS Ute, and I actually expected the trip computer to be able to display instant fuel usage, but apparrently it can't.
My question is, can the computer be reconfigured or tricked into the right display mode? I see it noted in the manual that it is available on some models, but not all.
The motor/computer must know how much fuel it is using, or it wouldn't run???
Cheers
John

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
The car and computer knows. Holden won't let you see it in some models, purely for model differentiation...

If you go into engineering mode, you can see things like throttle percentage etc...

I reckon there would be a way to do it, however it would involve tech 2 / gooing to holden (but being told to bugger off, we cant approve that). I might be wrong...

seasmi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
Hi John,

The SS certainly does display instant fuel useage in the centre window of the instumentation, just push the trip display and scroll through the various items in there. If you have an AFM model and have activated the cylinder mode settings that will also display at the same time.

Kenny42

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute
I wish it would.
It's a ute, not a sedan and doesn't have the AFM stuff.
It can give litres per 100 k, but that is pretty much useless.
I'm going back to the dealer, cause when I bought this model, I said to the Sales Girl that it would be good for us, as we tow trailers with a fair bit of windage, and the instant fuel thing would br great as I could then see if I was better off in 4th or 5th gear instead of 6th on the highway economy wise and she agreed. I don't think she had any idea, and I can't see me getting anywhere with them, except frustrated and annoyed. Can only try. It must be possible, but may need a smarty to work it out.
Cheers
John

seasmi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
[QW-11-KE];1640946 said:
My Ss My08 doesn't have it

I wonder then when this was first implemented.. Maybe with the AFM models !

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
it should show it when you go into engineering mode

Kenny42

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute
Engineering mode??
Where,What, please???
My VX Calais has had it since 2002. I thought it would be a no brainer, never imagined it wouldn't be there.
Cheers
John

samdssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
'08 VE SS-V Manual
Engineering mode??
Where,What, please???
My VX Calais has had it since 2002. I thought it would be a no brainer, never imagined it wouldn't be there.
Cheers
John

In regard to "Engineering Mode" I believe elsewhere on this forum i read not long ago how to display these "other figures."

My MY08 SSV is a matter of having the car igniton off, then holding down the scroll wheel button (enter - not the trip button) turning on ignition and there you have it..

Use the scroll wheel to go through things such as volts, batt charge, inst fuel, throttle position, cool temp, tacho, speed etc... A few things dont seem to work like trans temp i cant make sense of engine oil life is a mystery let alone tyre pressure maybe they were dreaming!!

Have fun!!

[QW-11-KE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
E CLUBSPORT R8
its not an ssv jus a plain ss in manual... gonna try it anyway tomorrow see if it works