Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS, Knocking noise at rear when wet?

timmo666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V, V8, 6 Speed Manual
hey guys,
had some stormy weather down SA lately, and something i have noticed is that whenever my car is wet after its been raining or even after i have washed it, if the car is still wet i get a knocking noise over bumps when driving. when the car is dry, or after driving around for 20-30 mins, it doesnt happen anymore. any ideas? anyone else have this happen?
i dont think its any major issue, its just strange and annoying me.
thanks,

Timmo

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Timmo, It happens a lot as you say, when the car is wet, because bushes, rubbers, etc don't like the wet because it tends to make them grip to the steel components, gees, even peoples joints creak in wet weather, I know mine do.

Had a taxi business some years back and I would dread wet weather because every driver would come in with a list of knocks, creaks, and squeaks on every car during the wet.

timmo666

Reaction score
Members Ride
alright mate, well as i said above i didnt think it was anything major. just wanted to know if was something to be worried about or if anyone else had experienced it.
thankyou for your response. appreciated.

Z3RO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
Timmo, It happens a lot as you say, when the car is wet, because bushes, rubbers, etc don't like the wet because it tends to make them grip to the steel components, gees, even peoples joints creak in wet weather, I know mine do.

Had a taxi business some years back and I would dread wet weather because every driver would come in with a list of knocks, creaks, and squeaks on every car during the wet.

Get off my lawn! damn kids *grumble*

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Sedan Manual & a VK in the build
hey guys,
had some stormy weather down SA lately, and something i have noticed is that whenever my car is wet after its been raining or even after i have washed it, if the car is still wet i get a knocking noise over bumps when driving. when the car is dry, or after driving around for 20-30 mins, it doesnt happen anymore. any ideas? anyone else have this happen?
i dont think its any major issue, its just strange and annoying me.
thanks,

Timmo

Are you putting your foot down?

Reason I ask is that it sounds like axel tram aka axel hop. Which is a harmonic response to your rear wheels trying to gain traction.
You can change the K-Frame mounts or increase the diameter of one of your axel's to stop the harmonics going from side to side.

Dave

timmo666

Reaction score
Members Ride
no it happens just rolling without acceleration as well.

pittyonyx

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais v 6.0L
Mate i had the same problem cgecked your wheel nuts? My were a bit loose tightened up problem gone..

K-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I have the same problem, but i9n the front left. 2 suspension shops, nothing found. Well, nothing that was related to my knock anyway.