Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS lowered Suspension dramas

Chris_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
hey guys just wanted to grab some opinions with a few niggling / semi-serious issues i have had with my ve before i take it to a shop

I have fitted monroe shortened shocks and kings ssl all round and fitted 22's with 245/30/22 tyres.
now the wheels need an alignment bad, i know this (its visible with naked eye) :whistling

now the issue is in the front end under compression the tyres are rubbing on one part of the guard liner (the bulged out section which covers the front bumper mounting point)

Is this a common issue or is there a good chance that this will be resolved with an alignment?

also two shops i have taken it to (repco and kmart tyre) have both said that they cannot do wheel alignments on lowered cars as they cant get their tool in there. repco said they would have a go at it but said they couldnt promise anything.

Is this a common issue? is there anyone that you guys can recommend on doing an alignment, or people that you use to do this?

P.S.
upon looking this morning there is bugger all clearance between the top of the tyre and the bottom of the front strut assembly, i cant get my pinky in there... anyone else checked out their clearance???

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
You've lowered the car on big rims because it looks 'cool' which effectively shortens the suspension travel. This is the penalty.

Chris_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
questions asked by me - 4
questions answered by you - 0

i am asking for help or advice please not a lecture, lol if i wanted a lecture i would ask my mum :smoking:

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Repco do wheel alignments?

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Wow ok first time I've heard of repco service centres.

Alex05

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
I had my old car lowered a fair bit and had no issues with alignment. Try a specific tyre shop or even an aftermarket tyre store. I took out my splash guards and had them rolled to avoid scrubbing. Take the liner out and turn the wheels to full lock and see if it scrapes on anything besides the splash guard

Chris_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I had my old car lowered a fair bit and had no issues with alignment. Try a specific tyre shop or even an aftermarket tyre store. I took out my splash guards and had them rolled to avoid scrubbing. Take the liner out and turn the wheels to full lock and see if it scrapes on anything besides the splash guard

Okay well that sounds promising then. Hopefully an alignment will sort it out.
Standing clearance lock to lock is fine,it's only when the suspension is under load such as large bumps whilst braking that it scrubs the liner.

Repco service centres must just be a Victoria thing.

I'll update this after an alignment in case others have this issue

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
The alignment may help things, but as it's happening under load I would suspect the alignment won't solve the of the problems.

Have had this problem in my previous cars when I've had them dropped hard... It may sound dodgy, but some time with a rotary tool trimming off the problem areas could be the way to go. All depends on exactly where it's scrubbing & you may find it's multiple locations.

Chris_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
okay Christmas delayed my repair work but i finally found a place that could perform a wheel alignment (got turned down by 3 places in total for too low and wheels too big)
Kudos to JAXQuickfit in Preston did the job for $99 :)

tyres no longer scrub on the left side and the scrubbing on the right side has been reduced a great deal. loaded the car right up under braking and turning over bumps and it just touches, perhaps i will inspect it with a dremel... it does sound dodgy but sounds cheaper than putting SL's in...

will bump again once i have had a poke around