Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS or Maloo

Suicidul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Commodore Ute
Hey guys, so I'm almost off my ps, been eyeing off a few different cars. Am leaning towards a VE SS as it's cheaper than a maloo and are still pretty tough. Will be cammed etc. But can't take my eye off the maloo (VY,VZ,VE haven't made my mind up yet) My current V6 is a mock vy maloo and I love it. Just wondering if anyone has gone the SS route and thought they should of gone the maloo? I can't really justify the extra cash just bc Maloo (I guess I can kind of ;) )

lowrider636

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SSV Redline Series 2
Comes down to your budget mate .. for your money you get a newer model ss than what you would a maloo

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
I wouldn't take the E series Maloo over the VE SS unless it has the 6.2l LS3. Even then for the price you can get a series 2 SS which is a nice place to be and power upgrades with an E85 capable engine is where it's at for bang for bucks performance.

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
Only get the Maloo if it has the LS3, i have just sold my 06 SS and was looking a VF SV6. I got lucky a picked up a 09 clubsport tourer LS3 for $31 k with 70K On clock.

Suicidul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Commodore Ute
I wouldn't take the E series Maloo over the VE SS unless it has the 6.2l LS3. Even then for the price you can get a series 2 SS which is a nice place to be and power upgrades with an E85 capable engine is where it's at for bang for bucks performance.

Is the "E85" badge something I should look for over normal? I've never used it. Just been a 98 man. And yes I wouldn't get a maloo without an LS1 or LS3. Remember reading somewhere that they are both better than the 2.

Suicidul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Commodore Ute
Only get the Maloo if it has the LS3, i have just sold my 06 SS and was looking a VF SV6. I got lucky a picked up a 09 clubsport tourer LS3 for $31 k with 70K On clock.

I take it the LS3 sh*ts all over the SS engine? (mindblank what its called atm)

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Do you want a ute or a few extra seats?

I'd go the VE SS personally. I prefer the look of it over the VY/VZ and it seems to be a nicer car overall. And yeah, you could probably get a a better SS for the same price, fully optioned if you are lucky.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Are we talk VE SS L76s vs VE Maloo LS3s or everything else inbetween too???

Either way can you afford $1500 a year for the insurence on a VE HSV???

Can you afford the $400 services and the $1000-$4000 brakes every 100,000km??? There more then just the sticker price consitter

Suicidul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Commodore Ute
Are we talk VE SS L76s vs VE Maloo LS3s or everything else inbetween too???

Either way can you afford $1500 a year for the insurence on a VE HSV???

Can you afford the $400 services and the $1000-$4000 brakes every 100,000km??? There more then just the sticker price consitter

I should of clarified, only interested in SS in the VE's not pre VE, and interested in the maloo across the whole range. Yeah the insurance will get me down but I was paying close to 2k for my Supra anyway.

Suicidul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Commodore Ute
Do you want a ute or a few extra seats?

I'd go the VE SS personally. I prefer the look of it over the VY/VZ and it seems to be a nicer car overall. And yeah, you could probably get a a better SS for the same price, fully optioned if you are lucky.

Utes only. No use for a sedan and prefer the look of the ute.