Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS problems

Arizona_G8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Holden/Pontiac G8 GT
Glad to see it helped you out. Best of luck with your MT issues.

hidey

Reaction score
Members Ride
my 10 ve ssv
ve ssv noisey gearbox 10/09 with 50ks only. what did you find... from west oz

My new SS now has 2000km on the clock and the gearbox is noisy... very noisy and has been since day 1. I'm getting it looked at soon... it's very clunky like my mate's SSV ute, but mine has extra "road" noise... when taking off slowly you can hear a whine or something... if I were to describe it I would class it as a bearing noise... but it's done it since new.

I am going to get it checked out though.

same as title

geo41e

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS V
hey guyz
I have an VE SSV 2007. 3 months left of man warrenty - 70,000kms on it.
the box does not whine, but it is a tad rattly when off clutch+in gear+low revs (below 2krpm). Took it to holden and he says its usually normal - Newer model SS are actually noiser.

now that i've been reading the above post..maybe i should push for a new box ?

Cocopopz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS MY9.5, VL LS2
My VE is going for a service (15K) this week and I have brought to there attention the gearbox as I have experianced a few problems with it aswell. It clunks when shifting up into 3rd under load (up a hill) and on a downshift into 3rd at the correct rpm. I have also complained about how noisy it is. Sitting at lights when it is quiet all you can here is a bearing type noise. Mine has also fallen out of gear but I have put this down to not engaging it propely as it needs a real positive push to obtain a gear. I also have noticed that it will also miss gears at very high rpm. I know the answer I will recive from the techs so this wil be fun trying to prove to them something is wrong.

demo9pro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport R8
When I owned my VE Clubsport, I remember the thing would regularly jump out of gear when it wasnt hammered into place! Just make sure
you put the clutch in fully and smash it in firmly. One day it almost snapped my wrist off when it snapped out of 1st gear when taking off at the lights.

The Manual has a pretty **** box in it, which is why im now looking into the 6sp Auto.

MovieDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (A)
The Manual has a pretty **** box in it, which is why im now looking into the 6sp Auto.

Having just sold me VE SS auto I now appreciate how good a gearbox it is. Smooth and quick enough for most situations. Hardly ever used the sport mode. Never missed a beat (apart from the clunking out of Park if the car had moved when changing from Drive to Park - a well-documented problem).

MickVE

Red... It goes faster!
Reaction score
Members Ride
09 MY10 SS
My SS is an Auto but never had any issues, apart from it being a bit eager to change down gears when not expected when giving the accelerator only a light prod.
Sorry to hear about your pain and hopefully you can get Holden to help you. My only suggestion is try another dealer if you aren't getting the answers you want from the current one.

Kikki

WA Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.christielynphotography.com
Members Ride
08 VE SSV Sportswagon & 03 VY S Pac
My manual is fine, as someone said it can be a bit noisy when in a lower gear, but mine hasn't ever missed a beat. Same deal as the OP, ex Holden employee car, 14,000kms on the clock, done 2000 since we had it (and I have learnt manual in this car so it hasn't exactly had a easy life) but no dramas at all.

bigdavepink

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Thanks all for your posts, I am somewhat reassured that a few other people do suffer with noisy manual gearboxes on this car. Having started to drive the thing a bit more aggressively, the box seems to have smoothed out a bit and the first gear jump out problem was almost certainly my fault as I havent had another instance of it since realising there is a notch which feels like first is engaged when in fact it is only just on the gate and pops out the moment you try to pull away.

I guess the box is a little more agricultural than I am used to...Holden missed a great marketing opppurtunity with this noisy cog swapper as it sounds a lot like a race bred box with straight cut primarys, if they had sold the noise as "race bred" we would probably all be quiet about it!

Great tip on the Pollution Mode for the recirc function, will try that in the morning and see what happens