Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS problems

Dazzak75

The HULK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
I have the 6sp manual, and have never had a problem, I have driven manuals for the past 10 yrs, and this box is quite good, I had had different makes, and the boxes all have different issues, this though, I feel is a great box, you know when in gear, and you can give it a hiding and it still smiles, I have put a billet pro shifter on mine, and love the feel, you feel every gear, you know it is solid, you can slam it between and know that at the end it is still going to be that same box.

I agree with big dave, if they had've promoted the box as race bred, all the whingers out there would not be complaining as it is the way it is meant to be, I reckon, keep making them this way, and if you don't like it, drive an auto and stop complaining.

Cocopopz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS MY9.5, VL LS2
Just thought I would keep you updated, had the car serviced last week and I told them about the gearbox problems. When I picked up the car they told me they could not fault it so I took him for a drive and pointed out the noises and problems. Straight away they could see what I was talking about and have agreed to replace the gearbox for me.

Mcbain

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
For what it's worth, I have a VE SS 2007 manual with 45,000 ks and have suffered the dreaded 'first gear pop-out'. Happened a few times which makes a really ungodly sound, but I have learned to be careful and ensure it's fully engaged in first. About 1 in 20 changes to first, you can feel the 'not quite right' spot followed by the engaged spot.

Lucky for me this is the only problem and I guess it's just in the design.

wez84

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv/vr calais V6 turbo oneday N/A Track car
I just got a new ssv last week and that waz the first thing i noticed waz the gearbox with a down low rumble and clunks when i changed gears i found once i got used to it the klunking stopped other than that it shifts fine but its only got 1000 km on it so ill wait and c

SSV-050

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 6 Speed
My manual is fine, as someone said it can be a bit noisy when in a lower gear, but mine hasn't ever missed a beat. Same deal as the OP, ex Holden employee car, 14,000kms on the clock, done 2000 since we had it (and I have learnt manual in this car so it hasn't exactly had a easy life) but no dramas at all.

My new VY SS has a bit of a bearing sort of a sound only in first gear taking off under 2000rpm I think its just normal but im getting it checked out anyway. Car just hit 100,000km so I dunno if thats normal to get a clutch done or anything. As for buying an ex Holden employee car I just would not do it! You do realize the plant is in ELIZABETH and the employees have an option to loan/rent cars my mate just got a redline VE and thrashes the absolute **** out of it! Elizabeth is not a very nice area incase you didnt know & there are a lot of rev heads who work there mate.

mad-sly-rig

NO LAG, JUST TORQUE
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV REDLINE M6 S2
i have a new ssv redline 6m and it had an oil leak on the inputshaft seal, so they replaced the gearbox and the new box they fitted is just as noisey as the original box ! no problems with gears jumping out