Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Ute vs VY SS Ute

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Yeah i know probably been done before a hundred times blah blah etc. My question has anyone gone from a earlier style Ute to a VE SS 8's only please.

What are you thoughts pros and cons day to day living i always wanted a VE SS Ute love the look.Funds didn't allow might change in the future :) .

I know the common differences between the two but if you have had both or went from one to the other feedback and info would be great. Also with the modifying side of things etc i know the newer Utes don't respond to the bolt ons like the early Ls1's .

One other thing would you go to a VE SS Ute or upgrade to a VY-VZ Maloo and don't say yes cause it's an HSV lol.

Thanks guys

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
One other thing would you go to a VE SS Ute or upgrade to a VY-VZ Maloo and don't say yes cause it's an HSV lol.

I would go the VE SSV Ute, not the standard SS, especially if you are going a series 1, you will want SSV. I do like the VZ Maloo though, tough choice man, flip a coin lol.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I had a Cammed VE ute and a VY SV8 cammmed(I know not a ute)

The old commodore chassis isn't as good as VE but a did enjoy it seemed more on edge so more fun.

if you have a VY a VZ maloo isn't a huge upgrade but a stock LS1 to a L98 is a difference

Get a VE

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
Yeah i know probably been done before a hundred times blah blah etc. My question has anyone gone from a earlier style Ute to a VE SS 8's only please.

What are you thoughts pros and cons day to day living i always wanted a VE SS Ute love the look.Funds didn't allow might change in the future :) .

I know the common differences between the two but if you have had both or went from one to the other feedback and info would be great. Also with the modifying side of things etc i know the newer Utes don't respond to the bolt ons like the early Ls1's .

Thanks guys
the newer E series does respond well to bolt on's, (if you include a tune as a bolt on) chassis as mentioned is great, the only difference (ss to ssv) in a ute is the interior display etc car otherwise is the same, nice to have an HSV but if you want one get an E series
see if you can get a test drive in both and do your own comparison

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Thanks guys for the info yeah i was thinking instead of forking out more money towards more kw's and maintenance/repairs. I'd upgrade to a newer model that would have a better platform to begin with. The Maloo would be out of the question with an E series for me but the SSV and even the SSV Redline might be.

Exactly bolt ons would be intake,exhaust,tune,and suspension for me unless i get carried away. Questions so that AFM is only with the autos?. I would like to get a manual but i am getting lazy these days with start stop cbd driving. How are the autos and is the manual shifting any good or is that just a gimmick in the VE?.

Decisions hmmmmmm.

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
the only difference (ss to ssv) in a ute is the interior display etc car otherwise is the same

Exterior has projector headlights and 19" wheels. I think the SSV interior is a massive upgrade from the SS on the Series 1, leather, LCD screen with dual zone climate control, fatter steering wheel, sports pedals. Makes the SS interior look very plain and basic. Series 2 is a different story as both SS and SSV have the IQ LCD system.

Questions so that AFM is only with the autos?. I would like to get a manual but i am getting lazy these days with start stop cbd driving. How are the autos and is the manual shifting any good or is that just a gimmick in the VE?.

AFM is only on auto's built after 2008 when they put the L76 in them. 2006 and 2007 auto's had the L98 without AFM. The manual's never had AFM.
I have always driven manuals, but i also thought i would go auto with the VE because of the start/stop traffic etc. I like the auto (good thing is its a six speed), but i do admit i miss changing gears sometimes, i now feel lazy driving an auto and i have less control over it. I have driven the manuals and they are a little clunky, but i was more than satisfied with it.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Get VZ ute with the 6.0L l76/l98 engine

bradizle

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN CALAIS
I've been there personally my ve is way ahead. Forget power wise it's just the feel .. Steering and body and chassis .... Way ahead mate. Trust me Wouldn't go back to a vy in a chance now.