Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS-V new owner - Instrumentation lighting

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon, S1 VE wagon SSV8
Recently bought my first VE (S1 SS-V) and I know a lot of the stuff I will be asking has been gone over at least 10-12 years ago but sometimes it's hard to find doing a search on the forums. Using my VE as an example, the VE is great in many ways but just so disappointing in some aspects of design that it makes you wonder who in the company was actually allowing some things to pass in to the manufacturing. One of these is the horrible red instrumentation lighting on mine.

I read a few posts here about other people (years ago) whinging about it also, but aside from that guy in Western Sydney (ASR) who could change them, is there any other kits now available that allow you to install a different colour lighting? That guy who could do it from ASR (forum name Phreddy) hasn't been on the forum since 2013. In any case I'm in Perth and I do have soldering skills, if it comes down to that.

There's LED cluster lighting kits on Ebay, apparently to suit VE Commodore but they are directly from China and I wouldn't be trusting that they would work very well.

I would much prefer the green lighting of the Omega VE - I wonder how hard it would be to swap one of those into mine? But even if I could, there's still the other digital readouts in the centre section (Oil pressure /Temp /Volts) which are horrible glaring red, as well as the backlighting of the entire centre console stuff.

Maybe I'll just have to put up with it but would be interested if anything has come up in the last 14 years to change the colour of the lighting.

Thanks!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There are businesses that do them for you. You send the various switches and buttons, the cluster etc and it comes back how you want it.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
There are businesses that do them for you. You send the various switches and buttons, the cluster etc and it comes back how you want it.
Oh right - sounds interesting. Ta for that... I'll start doing some searches then and ringing around. What sort of places though, as doing a search for "Instrumention" doesn't bring up much auto that I can see - mostly industrial, some marine, manufacturing processing etc. Just thinking, there might be people in the car audio industry that would have leads as to who could do that stuff.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Facebook will be the go to to find them.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm not on FB or ever use it, but no worries, at least I have an idea that these places exist so will find a lead eventually.