Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve ssv 2007 auto transmission problem

oztech007

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VE SSV 6.0t V8 A6 SEDAN
Just incase you didn't know, all VE 6L80E Transmissions from 07 to early 10 had a fault with leaking internal clutch fluid seals. This caused the Flaring between the 2-3 Shift. The seal was apparantly too small and wasnt a tight fit from factory. After the Fluid heated up, the seal eventually expanded slightly and then provided a better seal. You would find that mainly when cold, at light to med throttle, the 2-3 shift had a flare/slip. After it does this numerous times, it eventually clears up and almost dissappears. There are some fixes if you google it. Circle-D has some tech specs about the issue.
It requires a lot of internal seals, including the Pump seal to be replaced. They Recified the problem during 2010 and this issue was resolved. My car does it all the time. Its annoying but I have learned to live with it. It doesnt do any damage to the trans if you dont give it a hard time during the flaring.

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
Just incase you didn't know, all VE 6L80E Transmissions from 07 to early 10 had a fault with leaking internal clutch fluid seals. This caused the Flaring between the 2-3 Shift. The seal was apparantly too small and wasnt a tight fit from factory. After the Fluid heated up, the seal eventually expanded slightly and then provided a better seal. You would find that mainly when cold, at light to med throttle, the 2-3 shift had a flare/slip. After it does this numerous times, it eventually clears up and almost dissappears. There are some fixes if you google it. Circle-D has some tech specs about the issue.
It requires a lot of internal seals, including the Pump seal to be replaced. They Recified the problem during 2010 and this issue was resolved. My car does it all the time. Its annoying but I have learned to live with it. It doesnt do any damage to the trans if you dont give it a hard time during the flaring.

we must have been lucky our sep 09 build SS(sold now) never missed a beat

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I'd put that one down to bull dust except yeah was an issue pre-2009:
TSB Number PIP-4395 NHTSA Number:10026149 TSB Date:August 1, 2008 Date Added to File:October 2, 2008
Failing Component:
Power Train:Automatic Transmission
Summary:
GMC: flare and or harsh 2-3 shifts. This condition may be caused by leaking 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-r clutch fluid seal rings (230). Models cadillacs, chevrolets, GMC, hummers, pontiacs. Equipped with 6l80 (rpo myc) or 6l90 (rpo myd) automatic
Fix
Quantity Part# Description
3 24238238 Ring 4.189
1 24224577 Seal 4.226
1 24236927 Seal Kit 4.005
3 88861045 Fluid

Below is the complete description of the TSB:
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment on a flare or harsh 2-3 shift.
Recommendation/Instructions:
This condition may be caused by leaking 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-R clutch fluid seal rings (230). The following conditions are indications that the fluid seal rings may be leaking:
• Delayed/extended or delayed with harsh feel initial Park to Drive and/or Reverse to Drive shifts, that are more likely to occur when the transmission temperature is below approximately 40 degree C (104 degree F).
• Harsh or flaring 2-3 shifts that are more likely to occur when the transmission fluid temperature is in the approximately 0 degree C (32 degree F) to 40 degree C (104 degree F) temperature range, but can be present at any temperature.
• Harsh 2-3 shifts that are more likely to occur at less than 50% tp.
Vehicles built in the January through August, 2007 time frame are more likely to have leaking fluid seal rings
Important: When inspecting the 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-R clutch fluid seal rings (230) there probably will not be visible signs that the seal rings are damaged.
If any of the conditions above describe the flare/harsh 2-3 shift condition replace the 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-R clutch fluid seal rings (230), DO NOT replace the valve body or TCM.

Last edited:

MITCHSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
I'd put that one down to bull dust except yeah was an issue pre-2009:

Fix
Quantity Part# Description
3 24238238 Ring 4.189
1 24224577 Seal 4.226
1 24236927 Seal Kit 4.005
3 88861045 Fluid

Below is the complete description of the TSB:
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment on a flare or harsh 2-3 shift.
Recommendation/Instructions:
This condition may be caused by leaking 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-R clutch fluid seal rings (230). The following conditions are indications that the fluid seal rings may be leaking:
• Delayed/extended or delayed with harsh feel initial Park to Drive and/or Reverse to Drive shifts, that are more likely to occur when the transmission temperature is below approximately 40 degree C (104 degree F).
• Harsh or flaring 2-3 shifts that are more likely to occur when the transmission fluid temperature is in the approximately 0 degree C (32 degree F) to 40 degree C (104 degree F) temperature range, but can be present at any temperature.
• Harsh 2-3 shifts that are more likely to occur at less than 50% tp.
Vehicles built in the January through August, 2007 time frame are more likely to have leaking fluid seal rings
Important: When inspecting the 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-R clutch fluid seal rings (230) there probably will not be visible signs that the seal rings are damaged.
If any of the conditions above describe the flare/harsh 2-3 shift condition replace the 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-R clutch fluid seal rings (230), DO NOT replace the valve body or TCM.

I'm sorry to be digging up an old thread. Were those part numbers the GM part numbers? If not does anyone know where I can get these parts??

Cheers.

Daneye

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sportswagon series1 2010
I have a 2010 s1 wagon that I bought 3 months ago. Had the transmission replaced twice in the last month and originally had it serviced prior to 1st changeover. Nothing changed the first changeover blew up about 2 weeks after install but always either over revved before changing from 1st to second to third or wouldnt actually take off for 2 -3 seconds then lurch forward and rev to 5000. I have had it back 5 days since it was replaced and today started doing the same thing.