Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV and Polk Audio DB651 speakers

Lensman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi all and Happy Easter.

I'm looking for a quick, simple and relatively cheap upgrade to my stock VE SSV sound system. I have spent a number of hours going thru posts on this site and others - and I think I've settled on Polk DB651 4 ohm 6.5" speakers. They seem to be good units for the price.

Questions I'm hoping someone with previous experience can answer?

Is it an easy install?
Should I do front and rear?
Do the tweeters in the dash connect to the front speakers and will I still be able to connect them with the DB651's?
Will they cope with a more powerful amp should I change that in the future?

Thanks in advance!

Gouldinator1

Strip Sack, Miller!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Sv6
I think the VE has splits in the front and a single unit (coaxial) in the rear. So if you do the front with these speakers you will move the tweeter level from the dash (closer to ear level) to lower in the door.

"Is it an easy install?" Installing speakers is straight forward with + and - terminals. Depends on how far you want to take your system.
"Will they cope with a more powerful amp should I change that in the future?" 60 rms isn't much. They will take an amp but you would want to pair it with something similar it output.

Lensman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I think the VE has splits in the front and a single unit (coaxial) in the rear. So if you do the front with these speakers you will move the tweeter level from the dash (closer to ear level) to lower in the door.

"Is it an easy install?" Installing speakers is straight forward with + and - terminals. Depends on how far you want to take your system.
"Will they cope with a more powerful amp should I change that in the future?" 60 rms isn't much. They will take an amp but you would want to pair it with something similar it output.
Thanks Gouldinator1. My apologies for my late reply. I ended up getting 4 x JBL GTO638's. Very happy with them too. Have ordered a Kenwood amp as I'd like them a bit louder. It puts out a conservative 4 x 75 watts at 2 ohms and is class d. As for fitting, the first speaker took me a couple of hours and the other three around 20 minutes each. I disconnected the middle front speaker today, what a difference!