Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV H&R/Bilstein Suspension

SSV WAG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Wagon
Hi to all,

I wanted to post details of my recent experience lowering my VE SSV Wagon to help anyone looking to do the same.

My standard wagon needed new shocks at 130,000kms so I installed Bilstein shocks with my FE2 springs and was very impressed with the comfort and ride quality, however, the ride height increased by 10mm front and rear which wasn't ideal visually (415mm HTG front, 405mm HTG rear). After much deliberation, I then installed H&R springs which now have my wagon sitting at 375mm HTG front and 365mm HTG rear and I am absolutely wrapped with the outcome.

The ride with the H&R/Bilstein combination is like factory, super smooth and comfortable, to the point where I forget it's been lowered when I'm driving it. I only get reminded in two instances. Firstly, on really rough potholes where the thump is approx 20% harsher than FE2 and secondly, when I physically see it and go "wow', that sits perfectly. There is still approx 35mm gap between tyre and arch so it's the perfect stance in my opinion, basically how you would ideally expect an SSV to come from the factory. The stance is now in keeping with most European sports wagons, neat and hunched, beautifully highlighting the sleek lines of the VE without being over the top. I have driven on dirt roads, taken the family on holidays (2 kids and boot full), towed and fully used the car as before with the only drawback being the additional harshness on really rough potholes as previously mentioned. The car doesn't rattle or shake either, in fact, I had more internal rattles and door seal creaks with the old shocks. The car feels beautifully planted and very comfortable.

I must say i was very reluctant to install the lowered springs as it's our family car and I am not a fast driver, I simply enjoy the effortlessness of the SSV more than anything else. I'm also very fussy and generally keep my cars original but this suspension setup has far exceeded my expectations. This is the first time I have lowered a Commodore with the H&R/Bilstein combination and put simply, I'm amazed. I did not think it was possible to achieve the neat, lowered stance, whilst maintaining practicality and the superior ride comfort, but this H&R/Bilstein setup is superb. The ONLY way to lower a Commodore in my opinion.

Hope my post helps.

Cheers

Last edited:

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
mate, i have them in my sedan and could not agree more. I've tried a few set ups and the H&Rs have eclipsed them all. Overall, the car handles so much better you'd forget you're even driving a commodore (which is a very good thing IMHO). It's firm when it needs to be and soft when you're pottering along in suburban streets. I have full polyurethane front and half polyurethane rear (and a bunch of other handling mods, see sig) and changing to H&Rs, my final mod for handling, saw a big improvement i never expected.

Another thing, and probably slightly off topic, I really want to know if i'm running them too low. i had one suspension shop claim i set them too low and that i should 'sidegrade' to the OZ racing coilovers they supply (BC coilover rebranded) and f*** that. It's koni yellow or bilstein above all else, might need to ring up quadrant and find out.

Also, post pics please! :beer chug:

K-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Good to hear. You get what you pay for and Bilstein and H&R are some of the best.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
You need to post pictures!!!

I'm not surprised tho as H&R/Bilstein is the spring and shock combo tho everyone uses in the states on the G8s and seem to be the way to go for spring/shocks. Is there lower options then what you got tho???

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
Whats the price on that combo?

Around $1600 for the bilstein shock with king springs

Around $3000 for H&R coilovers with bilstein shocks, the advantage here is the height adjustment.