Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV Headlights Inadequate

Supe

Supe
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0
Thanks hakhawk, makes sense. I was over thinking it..

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
That’s true that the dazzling issue is overcome with projectors, however projectors or not they are still illegal without self-levelling and cleaning systems installed.

I beginning to think you like these HID threads lol

CSP: gadgetmaster is the bloke im getting mine off, very good person! Knows his stuff. Would recommend him to anyone.

If a cop pulls you up and he gets you for running HID's in projector headlights that’s mega bad luck and you should probably stay inside away from knifes and bath tubes with radios nearby.

The actual lens used in the Holden projector lights is exactly the same as the ones used in factory legal HID headlights. So the Holden lights are 98% HID legal, but its the 2%, the self levelling system (which is a total load of bullocks! the amount of times I’ve been blinded by freakin 300c's and Subaru running HID's is ridiculous) and of corse the cleaning system, these washers aren’t anything like the washers for your front window, watch this video:

GTI Headlight Washer

So yes to be 100% legal they have to have these things but to get pulled over and defected for it is bull**** odds.

Oh one more thing is the angle. The Holden headlight angle is shaped like this

\___\___

Where as most true HID headlights have a straight cut off

____ ____

The mistake some people make when they buy headlights is they will buy them from the states or some parts of Europe so they will be left hand drive, with a beam pattern like this

____/ ____/

Which blinds on coming traffic and highly dangerous.

So the beam pattern isnt 100% designed for HID’s either but its 100 times better and safer to have the HID’s in the projector style headlights then the normal reflector style ones.

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Airstrike Plus

Last edited:

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Thats true that the dazzling issue is overcome with projectors, however projectors or not they are still illegal without self levelling and cleaning systems installed.

I seriously doubt you're right... Because there are thousands of people that upgrade their bi-xenon projector lights with HID kits. Why would something that makes it a LOT safer to drive at night be illegal?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
I seriously doubt you're right... Because there are thousands of people that upgrade their bi-xenon projector lights with HID kits. Why would something that makes it a LOT safer to drive at night be illegal?

Because ECE regulations state that all vehicles fitted with HID headlamps must have a self levelling system and lense cleaning system.

Thats the criteria. Just because its a step up from halogen, doesnt mean it has to be legal even if it doesnt meet the legal criteria.

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute

Seriously, from experience he is right and he will argue it till you both fall over and die lol

HID's are illegal on cars that dont come out with the from factory. <--fullstop
Is was probably some silly fat wanker that made the rule up lol

I agree with you 110%, they are better in ever possible way. but the law, if they want to could do you for it. I suppose if you went the whole 9 yards and reto-fitted some legal HID headlights in the holden ones it may become legal, but the cost of that would be mega.

for the record xenon and HID are the same thing

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
lol I only argue it cause its true :p Im not against HID's in any way when they're fitted to projector lenses. If I had projector headlights, i'd fit HID's myself. I just like to point out to those who may care that yes it is illegal, but its extremely unlike you'd get done for it. I highly doubt any police even know what HID's are, let alone the legalities involved with them.

To be fair, the lense cleaning system is not just a law for HID. Its for all headlamps fitted with bulbs that emit over 2000 lumens (not sure if any other automotive ones do except for HID). "Dipped-beam headlamps with a light source having an objective luminous flux which exceeds 2,000 lumen shall only be installed in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s) according to Regulation No. 45." - ECE Regulation 48.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
HID conversion is the best mod you'll do in my opinion...

Around $400 a set, one for low beams and one for high beams.
what CSP said!

$400 for both low and high beam sets
get them from gerald @ GadgetMaster

low beams are H7
high beams are H9

6000K and 35W is what u want for the low beam H7s. 50W are way too bright and definately attract unwanted attention
for the high beam H9s you can go 6000K 50W if u want

vykeith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 2007
Has anyone put the projector headlamps out of the SSV / Calais etc. in to the Omega.
I realise they will fit but are there any problems electrically?
I had them in my previous VY II Berlina and found them much better than normal reflector headlamps and quite adequate.
Thanks
Keith.