Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV Issue

Griz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7L
Hi guys,

I recently picked up a VE SSV from a dealer. Got a good deal on it & only driven 65000 k's.

It had to have 2 engine mounts replaced and 2 tyres which the dealer took care of before I picked it up. It had no rego, so it had to be blue slipped & this too was taken care of by the dealer. Now the problem. I had a noise in the engine (sounded like a pulley) so I thought I would get the car NRMA checked as it was under warranty & just to make sure there were no other issues.

The inspector came out, spent about 2 hours and found a few troubling issues I want your opinion on.

X 4717600.Standard Vehicles-page-007.jpg

Immediate Repair
Tyres Passenger side rear tyre worn - inner edge worn

Frames and Members Poor quality repairs carried out to front chassis rails. Passenger side front section chassis
damaged & poorly welded. Parts have been "cut out"

E Early Repair
Fluid / Oil Leaks Oil wetness on engine sump pan- front and rear sections

Battery, Charging System Battery tested good although a recharge is advised

Bonnet and Boot
Struts/Locks
Bonnet lifting struts weak

Minor Item
Exterior Trim Inner front mud guard liner on driver side damaged
Upper Body Panels Indentation on bootlid - driver side under spoiler
Other Body Panels Indentations on passenger side front mud guard - above blinker
Wheels Scrapes on alloy wheel rims - all except for driver side rear wheel
Under Floor Panels Lower retaining tangs for rear bumper bar are broken off spare wheel tub
Steering Components Wobble in power steering steering pump pulley when engine running

Do you think this is worth getting fixed or asking for my money back. What kind of cost is involved in fixing the chassis? I have a copy of the vehicle history & there have been no insurance claims (obviously they had no insurance & repaired it themselves) & the mileage is accurate. I am concerned that the chassis was not identified when the engine mounts were replaced or when the blue slip was done. Not only that, missing in the report is the high beam globes were blown & the hand brake does not engage until it is pulled up as far as it goes, 2 things which should have been picked up with the rego check. I am not too concerned about the minor things, but I am getting mixed opinions about the chassis issues. Obviously the dealer is responsible for all costs, but not really the point.

Cheers.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Get your money back and walk away. Unreported and improperly repaired vehicles that have sustained serious accidents should not be driven for your safety and others.

S.D.M.F

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport R8
Money back, walk away, and then name and shame the dealer as a warning to others.

Tony310864

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Thunder Ute
As has been said, walk away from this one it has clearly been in an accident. There are plenty of good VEs for sale, now that the VF series 2 is about to be released you will get a higher spec car for the same cash.
Dealer blue/pink slips are not worth ****, as they normally have a local mechanic that does them with out even seeing the vehicle. I once bought a 4x4 and this was case as it had a number of things that made it unroadworthy, but it came with a pink slip that said it was all good.

Tony.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
run.......... far away and get yr $back

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Since you have paid for the car you will be very lucky to get your money back. I would also never trust a dealer that sold a car in that condition because they would have been well aware of the smash repairs.

You should try and return the car but there is no obligation on the seller to take a used car back after you have bought it and most likely they will not. Now they will most likely frig you around when you make used car warranty claims. The vehicle was most likely something picked up cheaply by the dealer at auction.

I don't know how many times we (not to mention all the consumer affairs agencies etc etc ) have to tell people to have used cars checked over before you buy them or even put a deposit down on them. This is another classic case of why it is imperative to do this.

Last edited:

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
You will be unlikely to get your money back but if you bought it from a registered dealer and it is still under the used car warranty he has a responsibility to fix it. If he doesn't take it up with the relevant state authority.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Perhaps next time you might consider the value of a pre-purchase inspection by NRMA etc. Good luck.

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
The most alarming thing of all is the engine mounts needing to be changed at 60xxx kms.
I have a v8 with 155000 and they're fine-I'm going to assume it has spent half it's life doing burnouts.
I think only the NRMA writing a letter saying it's unroadworthy will get you out of this, as I'm sure they can't sell you a car that's not legally drivable.
Put it down as a lesson, it'll probably be all OK, would definitely run a good engine flush and tranny oil change(if auto)
Don't worry about the oil wetness, I think it's an engine out job?? And it's a Holden, it's entitled to leak a little here and there.

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Surely when it had no rego and required a BLUE slip should of sent alarm bells ringing, ring up any insurance company and give them the VIN #, chances are they will confirm that it is a Repairable Write Off, although you state you have a copy. ( Don't rely on the dealer to be upfront )
You should of got it Inspected PRIOR to purchase!!!!!!
What car yard did you get it from, doubt very much it was from one who guarantees the Title of the vehicle.
Keep us informed of the outcome mate.
Do an online search, throw in the VIN# and all the **** will soon be revealed and take it with you to the dealer to support your case for a refund champ if you want to go down that path

Last edited: