Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE steering wheel electric gremlins

aeb001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII SV6 Sportswagon
G'day all,

Had this problem for years & just thought I'd try out the brains trust. A couple of weird electrical gremlins all to do with the steering wheel / column.

If i bang the horn with the USB playing music, it will loose the USB & switch to AM/FM and the only way to get USB back is to turn the car off & completely restart.
Sometimes the cruise will just turn itself completely off & need to be turned back on & re-set.

Has anyone else had any kind of issues like these & how much decontruction of the wheel / column did you have to do to fix it. With an airbag in there, I don't want to touch ANYTHING without some prior knowledge.

Adrian

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
G'day all,

Had this problem for years & just thought I'd try out the brains trust. A couple of weird electrical gremlins all to do with the steering wheel / column.

If i bang the horn with the USB playing music, it will loose the USB & switch to AM/FM and the only way to get USB back is to turn the car off & completely restart.
Sometimes the cruise will just turn itself completely off & need to be turned back on & re-set.

Has anyone else had any kind of issues like these & how much decontruction of the wheel / column did you have to do to fix it. With an airbag in there, I don't want to touch ANYTHING without some prior knowledge.

Adrian
Find someone with a decent scan tool to see if it has logged any fault codes.
You may have a faulty clock spring, might also have a faulty cruise control stalk.
It isn't that hard to remove the steering wheel, just disconnect the battery first. Easy access to everything then.
When you say, 'bang the horn', do you mean press it, or belt it?

aeb001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII SV6 Sportswagon
Find someone with a decent scan tool to see if it has logged any fault codes.
You may have a faulty clock spring, might also have a faulty cruise control stalk.
It isn't that hard to remove the steering wheel, just disconnect the battery first. Easy access to everything then.
When you say, 'bang the horn', do you mean press it, or belt it?
No fault codes
cruise stalk & audio selectors are diffent parts of the same column which makes me think there is a greater issue with the loom up that end of things.
Bang as in strike it with flat palm when an accident is happening as opposed to a gentle push with the thumb when getting someones attention or saying bye to the olds as i leave their place

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Better check the loom then.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hence why before stripping the car apart I'm checking with other ppl on here
Not all scan tools are equal...
Find someone with a Tech 2, they'll be able to access every module in a VE.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
How many k’s has the car done ?
Where in. Melbourne you located ?

As there might be a member close to you that maybe able to assist you by running a live scan to test the steering wheel buttons, and cruise control buttons.
And a live scan of the clock spring,

Whereas the wiper & indicator/cruise control stalks just clip in, and are replaceable without removing the steering wheel,

Last edited:

aeb001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII SV6 Sportswagon
How many k’s has the car done ?
Where in. Melbourne you located ?

As there might be a member close to you that maybe able to assist you by running a live scan to test the steering wheel buttons, and cruise control buttons.
And a live scan of the clock spring,

Whereas the wiper & indicator/cruise control stalks just clip in, and are replaceable without removing the steering wheel,
Gold Coast (thanks for letting me know it was wrong). 158K Scanned it 2 days ago for the wheel speed sensors & this didnt come up (or the guy didnt tell me)

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
You'll need to replace the clock spring, I've swapped a few with similar issues like trip button and scroll features not working g

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You'll need to replace the clock spring, I've swapped a few with similar issues like trip button and scroll features not working g
That's going to hurt the back pocket. VE clocksprings are around $450-$500, when I was looking for one to have for the parts inventory.