Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE stereo wont read discs

kiwi pup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V8 Excetuive
Hey all, so I just bought a 2007 Clubsport R8, and the stereo is doing some weird stuff.
it will load cd's and when ya go to play them, it says cant read and spits the cd out. have tried several cd's, most are originals and in good condition.
Had a look around here and saw a few posts about a common fault with these. Any ideas??

Also, the VY i traded in used to turn the headlights off when ya turn the car off and back on again when ya unlock it using remote on keys, can the VE be set up to do this?? currently doesnt.

Shamous69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09
Unfortunately the VE comes with a pretty crappy head unit, I had my head unit in my Omega replaced under warranty.

Yes you can set the headlights to do that. It's in the 'customise' menu under lighting just keep pressing Trip button until Customise comes up on screen and then press the scroll button in the middle (enter), you will find it in there.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Some good news, and some bad news....

First the good news....
The CD stacker Mechanism in the Head unit is replaceable. (You can change just the CD 6 stacker mechanism on the head unit, without changing the headunit)....
This means that you could get a head unit from the wreckers (Omega Models are not suitable)....
And pull the unit apart and take the stacker mechanism from the head unit, and fit it to your existing head unit....
Doing this would mean that you would not need to re-program the replacement head unit (as you are not replacing the brains of the head unit, just the stacker mechanism)....

Now for the BAD news....
A suitable radio from a wrecker will set you back around $200 for a cheapy non colour LCD model.... (Not too bad)....
Next, you will need to pull the headunit apart to remove the stacker unit from the wrecker head unit... (Not too hard)....
Then you will need to pull your current head unit from the vehicle (Be careful of the Antenna plugs), pull it apart, and fit the new stacker mechanism to your head unit...
Finally, you will need to re-install and check everything....

This page shows you how to remove your existing head unit, as well as how to get to and remove the CD stacker unit from your headunit...
www.carmodder.com • Programming the Colour LCD HVAC / Radio for the Holden VE Commodore

I hope this helps....