Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE suspension

daniel82384

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve MY10 ute
Hi all,

Ive got a VE SV6 2010 ute with about 250,000km. I bought it with about 80k on the clock with lowered suspension, refitted standard suspension so its about 170k old. im getting some front end rattling as well. mechanic replaced the sway bars at the front and now reckons the struts need to be done. ill be attempting it myself

Ive found a set of standard struts (front and rear) off a ve series 2 v8 ute for $150. the set has done about 30,000km. will the v8 set fit the sv6 ? and its a series 2 so would it fit my series 1? also is it silly to buy second hand struts? if so can you recommend some budget sets? priority would be the front struts but im sure the rear is cooked too. dont need anything fancy, but something softer would be nice. I got rid of the 19inch low profile tyres i had as i ended up with 3 cracked rims and i hated the feeling of the tyres. im running stockies at the moment

thanks

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
They will be ok it they are an ok brand. Replace the other bits like strut bush, boots and bump stops while you're at it, Victorian roads are harsh on those latter components.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Suspension 170k kms old? Time to show your poor ute some lovin'.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
V8 will fit V6 but the springs are different, so they need to be swapped out, otherwise the front will look like it’s a gasser.

You need to replace the strut tops with new ones.

Aim to replace as many bushes as you can.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The arm bushes are not easily replaced in a VE. If going that path you would be better off to replace the arms. The bushes don't seem to wear that much, and if they are worn then the BJs are probably getting loose too. And the BJs are not replaceable.

daniel82384

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve MY10 ute
V8 will fit V6 but the springs are different, so they need to be swapped out, otherwise the front will look like it’s a gasser.

You need to replace the strut tops with new ones.

Will it really be that big a difference with the V8 springs? Have you done it before?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Will it really be that big a difference with the V8 springs? Have you done it before?
You will need to replace the strut bushes regardless. 30k on Victorian roads and those struts bushes will already be 3/4 worn.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
The arm bushes are not easily replaced in a VE. If going that path you would be better off to replace the arms. The bushes don't seem to wear that much, and if they are worn then the BJs are probably getting loose too. And the BJs are not replaceable.

The suspension components seem to be fairly durable in my experience. I had my old SV6 from 55k kms to 300k kms and never replaced anything suspension wise, no strut tops, no bushes, nothing. Still tracked straight and true when I got rid of it and no excessive tyre wear.

One caveat I would add though is I’m fastidious with not running into anything like parking bump stops or going fast over speed bumps etc. If you are sympathetic to your suspension it will last a lot longer.

Also you don’t need a wheel alignment every few months like the tyre shops try and tell you. If you don’t run into stuff and everything is tracking fine then it’s all ok.

That’s how I’ve always done it for any of my cars but one of the YouTube channels I regularly watch who is an ex-Toyota dealer mechanic confirmed what I’ve always thought, normally the only way the geometry changes is through wear over a long timeframe and it doesn’t just go to shite in six months. I only get a wheel alignment when I’m buying new tyres, so maybe every 40k kms or so.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yes make sure you replace the strut top bushes. That is likely part of the rattle noise you have.
And don't use V8 springs in a V6.
Do you know anyone with a set of spring compressors who can swap the springs over properly?

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My strut bushes were buggard after no more than 200k. The arm bushes were fine, the BJs were a tiny bit loose. Victorian highways are the worst I have ever driven on and it's very hard to dodge every hole in the road no matter how hard you try.