Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 200 H0 Motor Auto 2008 Transmission Change of Auto oil

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Most 1/4 inch adapters are weak as piss. try a good brand like koken or snapon, if you have the space try a gentle tap with a hammer or impact driver

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
the fluid should be changed every 20thou km regardless of what Holden or your log book says. trans fluid will carbon up the filter if left too long and can cause blockages in the valve body as well. I've seen the damage caused by old fluid. there is no such thing as a long life fluid. fully synthetic fluid is better but expensive as the box will run cooler but it still needs to be changed at the same interval as normal fluid. heat and friction destroys fluid of any type eventually

Every 20k is a bit of overkill.

Should say in your manual what oil to use, from memory you can use dex III in the 5 spd but check the book.

You need to fill it till fluid starts coming out then start the car and go through all the gears and refill till it comes out again. The car/trans needs to be cold when you do this.

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
I don't wish to tread on your toes mate but it's not overkill. go to any tranny w/ shop and you will be basically told the same thing. you are a Holden tech and I suppose you guys have to follow the book- no offence meant. I spent 13yrs in the tranny game. saw plenty of boxes **** themselves because of long lack of maintanence periods. but if folks want to follow what the owners manual recommends then by all means do that. it eventually just sends more work to the aftermarket industry. which i.M.O is a good thing

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Im not saying the recommended intervals by Holden are the best, in fact I change my fluids a lot more often than the recommended intervals. I'm simply saying that 20k intervals are probably too often. It wont hurt the box but it may hurt the wallet.

Im yet to see a car thats done 20k with dirty/burnt fluid.

In my opinion every 45k would be a good idea unless you tow caravans or flog the **** out of it constantly.

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
no worries mate.

Mark17

hotrotor.17
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute 60th Ann
Most 1/4 inch adapters are weak as piss. try a good brand like koken or snapon, if you have the space try a gentle tap with a hammer or impact driver

Thanks for the replys guys will speak to CATS auto service tomorrow. I have the gear to do it, filter and casket and V1 (6) recommened auto synthetic oil. The T45 female plug is very small
internally in the plug
on the side of the auto box. Will probably use half inch socket drive to suit the 1/4 inch T 45 tool to crack the plug loose. The auto guys recommend to change oil and filter every 20 to 30 klms.

Last edited:

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I don't wish to tread on your toes mate but it's not overkill. go to any tranny w/ shop and you will be basically told the same thing. you are a Holden tech and I suppose you guys have to follow the book- no offence meant. I spent 13yrs in the tranny game. saw plenty of boxes **** themselves because of long lack of maintanence periods. but if folks want to follow what the owners manual recommends then by all means do that. it eventually just sends more work to the aftermarket industry. which i.M.O is a good thing
You saw plenty of boxes because that's all you worked on. There are exceedingly more boxes that survive the recommended period than those that dont. It's when people start ####ing with the motor's, putting more power through, towing without following revised intervals, not fitting coolers etc that you start getting your issues cropping up.

IMO, standard intervals are fine for standard cars, when you start changing stuff, then you should start looking at revised intervals for servicing.

The 5 speed gearbox in the VZ/VE btw gets done at 150,000km. Drain it, refill it, run the car to 70* trans temp, and then with the car running, top up the box.

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
I know this is an old thread but I just changed my oil (5 speed ) 70K and the oil came out dark red. I wished I changed it at 40K. I put a cooler on at the same time as the dash readout in summer sometimes sees the fluid temp above 100c. My car doesnt tow. I recommend 50K oil change Max and if you tow less.

I fitted this, the photo is not correct. The kit has steel brackets and looks factory when installed.

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION COOLER"KIT"COMMODORE VE | eBay

An update, 34 degrees in Perth today, over 1.5 hours driving heavy traffic and freeway. Temp never went more than 79c. Awesome. And sitting in heavy traffic the temp actually went down as the coolant temp went up. The cooler is getting air from the fans and working well.

Last edited:

Pandacrash

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore 98 calais
You need a special tool on mine

Pandacrash

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore 98 calais
I know this is an old thread but I just changed my oil (5 speed ) 70K and the oil came out dark red. I wished I changed it at 40K. I put a cooler on at the same time as the dash readout in summer sometimes sees the fluid temp above 100c. My car doesnt tow. I recommend 50K oil change Max and if you tow less.

I fitted this, the photo is not correct. The kit has steel brackets and looks factory when installed.

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION COOLER"KIT"COMMODORE VE | eBay

An update, 34 degrees in Perth today, over 1.5 hours driving heavy traffic and freeway. Temp never went more than 79c. Awesome. And sitting in heavy traffic the temp actually went down as the coolant temp went up. The cooler is getting air from the fans and working well.
Should be a standard on all cars