Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 9.5 unstable when driving 90km/h +

Gokz777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09.5 SV6 5sp Auto
I have noticed every single time I accelerate beyond 90km/h the car will begin to shake, it feels like the front wheels are turned inward, or that the car rocks at the front end (like a boat). Not exactly sure how to explain it other than it seems a little bit difficult to keep the car stable at that speed, to keep it in the lane. I thought it was the alignment but if I let go of the steering wheel it doesnt veer off?

It sort of feels like im driving on a bumpy road and every second one wheel hits a small pot hole and then the other one does the same? this continues at those speeds.

Speeding up beyond 100km/h doesnt help?

Has anyone had this problem?

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
had the same issue on mine, in my case it was due to putting cheap tyres on the front rims, got sick of it so ended you coughing up the cash for potenza's on the front and it sorted it out.

H4Z4RD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 SV6 Sedan
With my very limited understanding of wheel alignment, just because the car doesn't self steer in a direction when you let go of the wheel doesn't mean your alignment is spot on.

Have you ever had an alignment done on that car? I get one as soon as I've driven a car from a dealership, I've never bought a car new from a dealer with spot on alignment.

I'd get an alignment, if that fails I'd see the dealer. Hope you get it sorted mate! :)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-33.951255,151.136828

Gokz777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09.5 SV6 5sp Auto
had the same issue on mine, in my case it was due to putting cheap tyres on the front rims, got sick of it so ended you coughing up the cash for potenza's on the front and it sorted it out.

ive got bridgestone tyres on there, 18" standard rims. I guess theyre ok tyres but not the best

Gokz777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09.5 SV6 5sp Auto
With my very limited understanding of wheel alignment, just because the car doesn't self steer in a direction when you let go of the wheel doesn't mean your alignment is spot on.

Have you ever had an alignment done on that car? I get one as soon as I've driven a car from a dealership, I've never bought a car new from a dealer with spot on alignment.

I'd get an alignment, if that fails I'd see the dealer. Hope you get it sorted mate! :)

---
I am here: Google Maps

Ill go get it looked at, but how do I know if it needs one or not? How can I be sure that I wont get ripped off?

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
Where abouts in Melbourne are you located?
I would be checking the wheel alignment, getting the front wheels balanced.
If that doesn't fix your problem, I would be going back to Holden and taking a technition on a road test so you can demonstrate what's happening.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
'bumpy' wheels mean a wheel balance is required. the fact that your problem gets worse as you get faster means it has something to do with the wheel rotation itself, not its alignment compared to the other wheels.
if you were out of alignment, the car would pull to side like you are driving over tram tracks, and keeping it in a dead straight line would be very difficult.... but it wouldnt cause 'bumpyness' or shaking.

whats it like under braking? does it pull to side or shudder?
when driving in a straight line and you gently turn wheel left and right, is it more responsive one way more than the other?
any rattles or squeaks when you are pulling out of driveway and turn wheel left to right full lock? go to a carpark and drive slowly, turning wheel full circle. any clicking noises or feedback through steering wheel?

my bet is on the fact that one or more wheels have lost their little weights that balance them. as already suggested, get a 4 wheel balance and alignment (front and rear).

JustDylan

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
Sorry to hijack this thread a little but in my mitsubishi 380 when Slowing down after high speeds after a few times, the front of the car feels like my mates did when he needed his brakes machining. It drives and breaks fine 10-20 minutes afterwards, with no vibrations or anything irregular. What could this be?

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
id be looking at a wheel balance and also at your strut inserts if 1 side has failed it will be unstable at speed.

Gokz777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09.5 SV6 5sp Auto
Im booking the car in for a wheel balance and alignment, and ill update u guys on the results. thanks for all the help