Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 Aftermarket Head Unit/iPod Integration Kit Power Source

-SpydeR-

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Hey guys,

Since I'm no expert in any sort of car audio installations but have a decent knowledge of electronics, I have decided to have a go at installing an iPod integration kit for my VE SV6. Currently I have purchased an SSV head unit which is soon to be installed and I am confident in the swap as the factory wiring loom disconnects from the current OEM head unit and just connects into the new SSV head unit.

Now for the part which I need help with. I understand that when replacing OEM head units with aftermarket models, you would use the power and ground wires from the exisiting wiring loom that connected to the old head unit for the new head unit.

Now what I would like to know is if the standard head unit was left in tact and a single DIN aftermarket head unit was to be installed in the glove box, where would I get power for the aftermarket head unit from? I ask this as I believe the same principal would be applied to install the Alpine iPod integration kit which I'm looking at which requires power input of 11-15V DC via three wires labelled BATT (Battery), GND (Ground) and ACC (Accessories).

Alpine Electronics of Australia

Therefore could I just wire the iPod Video Interface to a constant 12V Accessories feed? And if so, which would be the best feed to wire it to?

Cheers.

blasto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE "Sport"wagon
Try the plug for the "Smoker's kit" just under the honkytone(tm) stereo.

There's a 12, G, and Acc on that one.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Search is your friend in regard to wiring up your iPod kit, there is an used plug behind the glovebox that is intended for an aftermarket mobile handsfree kit......if you do a search you will find what wires are what, been mentioned many times.

As far as unplugging the SV6 unit and plugging in a SSV without any dramas is what im unsure of, at the very least you'll need to take a trip to your local Holden dealer so they can match the stereo to the car....unless its a new unit and its being changed over by Holden?

-SpydeR-

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Search is your friend in regard to wiring up your iPod kit, there is an used plug behind the glovebox that is intended for an aftermarket mobile handsfree kit......if you do a search you will find what wires are what, been mentioned many times.

As far as unplugging the SV6 unit and plugging in a SSV without any dramas is what im unsure of, at the very least you'll need to take a trip to your local Holden dealer so they can match the stereo to the car....unless its a new unit and its being changed over by Holden?

Cheers mate. Would that unused plug still be there if I have the factory bluetooth handsfree?

With the SSV head unit I already have that sorted as I bought an SSV head unit upgrade kit from JHP which comes with a brand new head unit pre programmed with a new HVAC module, so I'll be fine with installing that.

-SpydeR-

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Try the plug for the "Smoker's kit" just under the honkytone(tm) stereo.

There's a 12, G, and Acc on that one.

Are you sure it's 12, G and ACC? Wouldn't it be 12, G and Dash light wire for the illumination ring when the head lights are on?