Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve sv6 AirHammer, not the results i was after??

m05tw4nt3d

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV WAGON
Hi guys,
Last night i recieved and installed my AIRHAMMER CAI, and after letting it idle for a while took it for a spin, noticed no increase in anything.
Today i drove to and from work around a 70k round trip. The car seemed to be less responsive and to have lost some power at low revs. Also my average L per 100 has risen from 11 to 11.6?

Does the car need an ajust period? Does the airhammer need to "break in"?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Nathan

Last edited:

Homer's HSV

Homer Simpson
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE E3 Clubsport
Hi Nathan i just put it in my ve ss and does very well mine was instant power and to my knowledge doesnt need to break in but not 100% on that.
Just check over ur work that everything is plugged in and good luck

sheepz

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 SV6 manual
I noticed the power increase a little and also with some response. Took the CPU about 2 weeks to really settle in. although i drilled the hole it recommanded as well to increase the air flow

Harrison

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VYII 3.8L A4
i have heard of many people being unhappy with this particular intake... but no personal experience on the matter so cant help you first hand.. most things get better with time, and with the fuel consumption... id say you are probably giving the accel a little more action trying to see how the intake goes (i did the exact thing when i altered my filter) over time you might find it improving

sheepz

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 SV6 manual
also what type of driving are you doing? highway or more city? Also have you been reving it a little more since you've put it in? as the above post i was reving a little harder to see if i could notice the difference. Also maybe check that everything has been put on tight, maybe there is a leak or something.

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
i have heard of many people being unhappy with this particular intake... but no personal experience on the matter so cant help you first hand.. most things get better with time, and with the fuel consumption... id say you are probably giving the accel a little more action trying to see how the intake goes (i did the exact thing when i altered my filter) over time you might find it improving

Its a load of BS. It is all in the drivers/owners head!!

There is nothing wrong with the Air Hamer design.

The problem is people think they can put a CAI onto a car and expect to feel noticable gains. You will only feel a noticable gain if a CAI is fitted with extractors and a dyno tune.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
^^ Not sure I agree 100% with you I did not have a dyno tune or extractors when I put my CAI on and I noticed a difference not much but it was there just like strut braces people say they do nothing I just got one installed and it has made a difference I automatically assumed it would do nothing there has definitely been a gain.

If you can't notice the difference when installing/upgrading something on your car you do not know your car or it's not running 100%. (VTSS350 this is not directed to you personally)

But the question is to the OP do you have an aftermarket filter or is it stock?

ads1972

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Don't waste your time with these half hearted upgrades. Get a cai fitted and dyne for around $1100-$1400 and get noticeable gains!

m05tw4nt3d

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV WAGON
Hi guys, Thanks for all the replys. Im using the aFe pod filter that came with the unit from velocityauto, also after 2 days my average fuel is at 12.8 im getting worried, as i really havnt been driving much harder then before and now ive done 100ks??? One more thing we have had some rain here in newcaslte latley and today when i got home from a drive i had a peek to see how everything was looking and to make sure everything was still inplace and tight. When i inspected the od filter and the bay where it sits the area was quite wet and there were drops of water all over the pod itslef, should i be worried cause i am :S im a bit of a worry wart and dont want to damage my car. Please someone give me some advice im a nervous wreck

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
Its a load of BS. It is all in the drivers/owners head!!

There is nothing wrong with the Air Hamer design.

The problem is people think they can put a CAI onto a car and expect to feel noticable gains. You will only feel a noticeable gain if a CAI is fitted with extractors and a dyno tune.

Yeah I have to agree with this. When I did my exhaust which consisted of Pacemaker Tri Y's cats and twin 2.5" exhaust, I noticed zero performance gains until it was tuned. I'd assume an intake would deliver very little (if anything) alone as well.