Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 Audio Upgrade HELP

Djb123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hi guys,

Recently started to notice that there is a tear in my main speaker on my dash and got me thinking that I should upgrade few other things too.

I bought a Sony Xplod sub that puts out 1800 watts And I am looking to buy speakers for my two front doors two back and the main console.

I have a few problems as I'm not that knowledgable on this whole thing

1. What size speakers are each area (main console, front doors, back doors)
2. If I connect the sub to an amp would I get away by then just connecting my speakers to the original head unit without an amp?
3. Will I have to change the head unit?

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
Hi guys,

Recently started to notice that there is a tear in my main speaker on my dash and got me thinking that I should upgrade few other things too.

I bought a Sony Xplod sub that puts out 1800 watts And I am looking to buy speakers for my two front doors two back and the main console.

I have a few problems as I'm not that knowledgable on this whole thing

1. What size speakers are each area (main console, front doors, back doors)
2. If I connect the sub to an amp would I get away by then just connecting my speakers to the original head unit without an amp?
3. Will I have to change the head unit?

Firstly, definitely NO NEED to replace the head unit. Grab a line out converter to convert to RCA plugs.

Secondly, 1800W is PEAK POWER which doesn't mean alot. RMS power is the figure that makes the difference.

Speakers are 6 inch, but a 6.5 inch will fit. Ignore the centre speaker...it's rubbish

I have tried speakers off the head unit and it was crap. Sure it was clear...but the headunit doesn't provide enough juice for the speaker. Get an amplifier...you WILL NOT regret it :)