Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve sv6 mace cams help

Sv6 Lover!

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Ve
Hey everyone, i have a 2010 ve sv6 sidi manual ute and was thinking of putting mace cams in it...but im not sure weather I should or not as I have heard good and bad things about them any information would be much appreciated?

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
The way i see it, cams are one of the very last things to do performance wise.

Do you have exhaust/intake sorted?
Do you have a decent tuner?
Is the vehicle mecanically healthy?

The good/bad points you've probably heard are dyno figues, some reading up or down than the norm. Don't worry about this, in reality its all about feel and 1/4 mile times. It seems the camshafts are making a consistant 30rwkw, which is probably the biggest gain the Alloytec will ever see from a single mod. (Excluding forced induction)

So i'd say do it. You only live once, and money will always come and go.

Sv6 Lover!

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Ve
The way i see it, cams are one of the very last things to do performance wise.

Do you have exhaust/intake sorted?
Do you have a decent tuner?
Is the vehicle mecanically healthy?

The good/bad points you've probably heard are dyno figues, some reading up or down than the norm. Don't worry about this, in reality its all about feel and 1/4 mile times. It seems the camshafts are making a consistant 30rwkw, which is probably the biggest gain the Alloytec will ever see from a single mod. (Excluding forced induction)

So i'd say do it. You only live once, and money will always come and go.

Thanks you made my decision a bit easier.. At the moment I have hiflo cats,extractors,exhaust,growler,and a power chip... So what are the the bad things concerning the cams that you know of?

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Power chip?

All modern vehicle have to be flash tuned on a dyno. I'm hoping this is what you have?

Camshafts move the vehicles powerband higher, its hard to explain, so it may pay to read up alittle on them.

Bad points would be alittle more sluggish in the lower revs, slightly higher fuel consumption, and the noise (Which is a matter of opinion)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Power chip?

All modern vehicle have to be flash tuned on a dyno. I'm hoping this is what you have?

All modern vehicles need to be flash tuned, that doesn't necessarily need to be done on a dyno.MACE provide a remote tuning service that works very well.

Camshafts move the vehicles powerband higher, its hard to explain, so it may pay to read up alittle on them.

Bad points would be alittle more sluggish in the lower revs, slightly higher fuel consumption, and the noise (Which is a matter of opinion)

Again, with modern variable cam timing losses down low are minimal and probably not noticeable at all (depending on the cams used). Certainly not an problem with the MACE 210 degree cams. A fair amount of effort was put into these cams/tuning to get a very decent overall package.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Well, there you go!

Cams seem to be a win then :)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I do agree though, get the intake sorted and an exhaust will help also :)

Also get the MACE spacers fitted for best overall results :)

MACE

Reaction score
Hey Sv6 Lover,

Thank you for your enquiry.

"Hey everyone, i have a 2010 ve sv6 sidi manual ute and was thinking of putting mace cams in it...but im not sure weather I should or not as I have heard good and bad things about them any information would be much appreciated?"
Our Mace performance cams for Alloytec and Sidi have proven to be a good performance upgrade, providing decent power gains.

In saying that we have had a few minor issues which have been sorted, some of which have been installation errors, and are updating our installation instructions. We have worked hard with our customers to sort any teething issues We believe these issues have now all been sorted.
If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards,
Matt

Jayce230315

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ve sv6 commodore
Does anyone know anywhere to get these cam upgrades?

VEZ LFX V6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z series SV6 ute
Mace engineerings website you can buy everything, they are the best shop ever to deal with and back there gear 100%. I recently bought valve springs, timing chain kit, cams and gasket kit for around $2,200. You dont feel any loss down low because of the VVT but about 2,500RPM up it goes a lot better and I got the 85LB valve springs so I can rev it up to 8,000RPM, I got mine tuned by mckay performance centre