Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 Ute Exhaust

thfchayden

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 UTE
I know there's a ton of threads and people will just tell me to search but everything I've found is like 5 years old and was wondering if there's anything new or different that is recommended these days for a MY10 VE SV6 Ute. I was looking at just getting the 2.5 Xforce catback system but read about drone issues etc. I was also told by someone to just go to an exhaust shop and get a custom set up but most of the places I've quoted for custom stuff have ridiculous prices.

Also, any recommendations for exhaust shops in Melbourne? Preferably eastern subs.

ThatsGuy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Not sure if this helps but My SS ute has twin 3", cats, resonators, and big mufflers at the back its pretty quiet, but even so I would not want the drone any louder at 1.5-2000 rpm. I think a fair bit of thought went into the setup so as to not have the drone because it's where you spend the majority of town/highway driving. I've heard XForce is droney.

I am guessing if mine were to sound better, or louder, at most speeds, the drone would be unbearable.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The OP asked about a V6, the next comment is about a 3" on a V8. Classic....

The fact that the comments are all about 5 years old pretty much tells you that there aren't any new developments.

Not many people do much for the V6 because the market just isn't there. There are some systems that sound OK on them, and there are some that sound like ****, in my opinion, the Manta with front muffler and hotdogs sounds pretty good. Nice and deep, bugger all drone, but as with all V6's they will tend to be a little bit raspy as the revs get up. The Manta is $1295 shipped if you wanted to pay that much.

ThatsGuy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
The OP asked about a V6, the next comment is about a 3" on a V8. Classic....

The fact that the comments are all about 5 years old pretty much tells you that there aren't any new developments.

Not many people do much for the V6 because the market just isn't there. There are some systems that sound OK on them, and there are some that sound like ****, in my opinion, the Manta with front muffler and hotdogs sounds pretty good. Nice and deep, bugger all drone, but as with all V6's they will tend to be a little bit raspy as the revs get up. The Manta is $1295 shipped if you wanted to pay that much.

No-one replied to the guy so I gave him some information. Do you sell them? I'm interested in what the best ways are to keep the deep sound and performance but reduce drone. My own exhaust is fairly quiet, more raspy than deep, and sounds like a v8 racecar when decelerating, but a bit buzzy at free rev in neutral (like two Honda 4 bangers with no pipes up high lol)

I didn't want to flat out say 'it'll sound bad mate get an 8' - which is usually what these threads devolve into, so I suggested he be careful...

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's just a thing with forums really, wasn't having a go at you in particular. But you are right in that the standard reply is "V6's sound like ****, get a V8".

What brand have you got on there at the moment? Sometimes it's just the quality of muffler that can make a difference.

Do you have extractors? 3" cats and a big system can tend to sound worse with stock manifolds than they would with extractors.

thfchayden

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 UTE
I would have gotten a V8 if I wasn't on my P plates for the next 2 years haha. I am still considering that option Abba and it is probably my number one at the moment, I just wanted to see if there was anything else going. I'd rather get someone to install for me though as I don't trust myself, is the Manta system sold/installed in Vic?

Cheers for the replies boys.

ThatsGuy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
It's just a thing with forums really, wasn't having a go at you in particular. But you are right in that the standard reply is "V6's sound like ****, get a V8".

What brand have you got on there at the moment? Sometimes it's just the quality of muffler that can make a difference.

Do you have extractors? 3" cats and a big system can tend to sound worse with stock manifolds than they would with extractors.

G'day. I have Pacemaker extractors into 3" pipes - they go into cats, then resonator/hotdog, and these mufflers are on the back. No brand that I can see on them.

Thoughts?

CNHvI6z.jpg

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Looking at the shape of the rear mufflers and the way the hangers are on the intermediate pipes, I'd put money on them being X Force. Probably why it's raspy. I have removed a system like this just recently and made custom rear single outlets with 5" dumpers. The X Force was rusted with holes all through it and it was less than 3 years old. He hated the sound of it, but it was on there when he got the car.

ThatsGuy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Right-o. I don't mind them, the car's tuned to them. But if they go kaput, what would I be looking at cost wise to just bolt on something to have a little more rumble but not too much drone?

Any pics of the one you did....

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I had to cut the front off these to weld the cats in

11218227_899461683470366_331139025378539797_n_zps6kwunogx.jpg

This is the system before I modified it

12038478_899440776805790_9204131530775409516_n_zpscfqbrgzu.jpg

This is the system on the car