Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE V6 fuel economy confusion.

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
Hi all, I am hoping you can help me out with an issue with fuel consumption of my 2 VE's.

The missus and I bought VE's at the same time. She got a 08 Berlina Wagon with 60k's. I got an 07 Omega sedan with 90k's.

They both have the 4 speed auto.

I would have expected that they would get similar economy. But the wagon gets around 10.4 litres per hundred on the highway. While my car gets around 8.6.
Same driver, same roads.

The wagon even feels sluggish compared with my sedan.

So, is there is a reason for this? Holden told me that it was because the wagon was heavier, but I think this is a crap answer and I want a solution. I have mates that are getting better economy out of their LS1's.

Should the economy be similar?
Is the wagan a bit thirsty?

Is there a fix?

Thanks for any help that you can give.

Cheers

astroham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking
even cars with the same setup up will run differently ... but weight is a factor ... Have you changed the oil in them? cause some oils (like synthetic) are easier to pump, and therefor your engine can make better economy (dont laugh i did this in my old car and it worked) ... another thing might be the tyre pressure / wear / compound ... aerodynamics ... if either of them have mods it could be making the Sed more efficient or the Wagon thirstier ... there is heaps of things ...
Hope that was of some help

edelbrock1

Reaction score
Members Ride
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4
Thanks for the help astroham,

But as far as I know. Both cars are stock as a rock. I did put a new air cleaner in the wagon and that improved it by about .2 litres per hundred.
It just has me stumped as the engines and transmissions are identical. I would expect fuel economy that is at least in a similar ball park.

Darks

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6
Sedans will always be more economical than wagons. I think you'll find that Holden are right though

bluessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS Thunder Ute
I find it hard to believe the fuel figure for your wagon is normal. Most stock V8's would be heaps better on the highway than 10.4l per 100?? Let alone a V6

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Sounds wierd My brothers SV6 wagon gets 8-9L/100 doing about 70% highway driving and he sits on 110kph. Have you checked tyre pressures, and do you fill up both cars with the same brand/grade of fuel?

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
What is the service history on these cars?

Personally, I would be getting the injectors cleaned, new fuel filter, good quality oil change, keep up with fuel injector cleaner, maybe even look at doing an upper engine clean and see the effect.

The wagon would use more fuel, but I doubt more than 0.5ltr/100kms if all else is identical