Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE v8 Alternator Removal & Replacement

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
Is this an easy job, or does it require some serious dis-assembly?

Back Story:
Alternator error came up gave me fault code a couple of weeks back but went away. (I was on the Great Ocean Road and a long way from home)

Fault came back today, then went away briefly, then returned, and has stayed on since. Charged the battery and the car runs fine (except for the code), until I disconnect the + terminal.

Called the NRMA and the Patrolman checked and said it was most likely the Alternator but to get it professionally checked (as he is supposed to say).

I want to take the alternator out and check the regulator, but as regulator faults are usually intermittent, I will probably just replace the alternator if it is feasible.

Thanks, Nick

S.D.M.F

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport R8
1xx_zpszpc1i2aw.png

2xx_zps4jwfed45.png

3xx_zpsi1ghlthg.png

4xx_zpsdqld9ve9.png

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
Yes thanks for the instructions, I have literally just come back in from the garage with my head under the bonnet trying to see the how the logistics would work.
I was trying to work out if it is possible to unbolt the power steering cradle without disconnecting the power steering hoses.
Have you actually done one?

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
Okay - it's out.

Here's where I deviated from the workshop manual pages posted above, thanks again to S.D.M.F

Instead of 7 & 8:
  • I unbolted the power steering bracket from the block and un-clipped the power steering reservoir.
  • This gave me the freedom to move the the power steering pump around without disconnecting the power steering hoses.
  • I tied up the power steering pump to different parts of the engine as I moved around to get to the bolts off the alternator.
  • The alternator is a tight fit in the bracket but comes out with some prying.
  • The alternator comes up the side of the engine (with some manipulation).

If I was to do it again I would undo the alternator bolts before removing the power steering bracket.

I suspect the method posted above from the workshop manual, thanks again to S.D.M.F, makes more room for the alternator but I wanted to avoid power steering fluid and replacing bolts etc.

Next, I will work out what is wrong with the alternator then reverse the process (hopefully it will fit).

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
Alternator Repair - don't bother.
I spoke to an auto electrician who explained they don't fix 'em and they don't have the parts.

I went for a genuine replacement, but you need to keep the 12mm nut off the postive pole off the old alternator.

Installing the alternator back in the car.
When reading the workshop manual it says "Install the alternator to the alternator mounting bracket." Yeh right!
When the alternator is installed initially in the bracket a couple of bushes are installed as well. This stops the alternator being re-installed easily.

Here are my instructions, following on from my deviations above.
At several points I moved the position of the power steering pump assembly keeing it supported with a bungey cord.

1. Remove the idler pulley from the alternator bracket (This is a standard thread).
  2. Remove the third bolt from the alternator bracket and remove the bracket from the engine bay.
  3. Push the bushes back through holes so they don't protrude into gap where the alternator sits.
    • There are a couple of bushes produtruding into the area where the alternator sits and these need to be pushed out.
    • I did this by putting the bracket on a tow bar and putying a socket over the bush and tapped it with a hammer, went back fairly easily.
  4. Put the bracket back in the engine bay along with the alternator and put the two bolts through the bracket and the alternator and line the top one up with the hole in the block.
  5. Re-insert all bolts including the rear support and tighten up.
    • You'll feel the bushes get pushed in as you tighten the two bolts holding the alternator.
  6. Re-install the idler pulley.
  7. Re-install the power steering pump bracket with the powersteering pump attached.
  8. Put the serpentine belt back on
  9. Reattach the intake plumbing
  10. Plug the alternator back in and attach the main charge cable to the back of the alternator
  11. Re-attach the battery

... "off you go in a puff of smoke"

This method also avoids getting new power steering pump retaining bolts or bleeding the power steering.

LoopHole0011

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport HSV R8
Is this an easy job, or does it require some serious dis-assembly?

Back Story:
Alternator error came up gave me fault code a couple of weeks back but went away. (I was on the Great Ocean Road and a long way from home)

Fault came back today, then went away briefly, then returned, and has stayed on since. Charged the battery and the car runs fine (except for the code), until I disconnect the + terminal.

Called the NRMA and the Patrolman checked and said it was most likely the Alternator but to get it professionally checked (as he is supposed to say).

I want to take the alternator out and check the regulator, but as regulator faults are usually intermittent, I will probably just replace the alternator if it is feasible.

Thanks, Nick

Hey iv got a VE HSV R8 LS3, and the alternator light flashes on and my battery doesn't get charged as i when i leave the car on the battery charge keeps dropping.

It was all fine until i went away for 6 weeks and when i got back battery was dead and remote wouldnt even open the doors or boot.

So from your exprience is changing the alternator a easy DIY or not?
also is it possible there the problem could not be the alternator and somehting els?
How much did you pay for you new alternator?

thanks

Tosspot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS
Hey iv got a VE HSV R8 LS3, and the alternator light flashes on and my battery doesn't get charged as i when i leave the car on the battery charge keeps dropping.

It was all fine until i went away for 6 weeks and when i got back battery was dead and remote wouldnt even open the doors or boot.

also is it possible there the problem could not be the alternator and somehting els?

thanks
Hi mate,

I had similar symptoms to you. I would say its a relatively straightforward DIY to remove. As above you don't need to disconnect power steering hoses. You can get enough clearance to remove if you unbolt and move power steering pump out of the way and unclip fluid reservoir. As suggested above unbolt the alternator bracket and remove bracket and alternator together. I didn't figure this out straight off. The alternator will take a bit of prying to remove from the bracket and I found it impossible to do in place.

I removed the alternator and took to the local sparky to see if he could diagnose and confirm the alternator was at fault. Like you I wasn't sure if it was alternator or something else. He said he needed to have the alternator in car to diagnose ! But you can try removing and taking to a sparky to see if he can diagnose if you don't have enough battery to drive to a shop. But they will prefer diagnosing on the car.

In the end it was the alternator and I was charged $400 for a new one. Just bought it and took home to install. Didn't shop around so not sure if that was a good price or not. Needed the car that day. It was a non-genuine one but I have had no trouble with it.

good luck with it.

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto

thanks

Mine died on and off as well, fortunately the last time I was close to home.
Maybe get it diagnosed whilst it is still in the car.
DIY - yes if you can swing a 15mm ring spanner.
Paid $370 delivered for a genuine part.

HTH Nick

Viz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss 6.0
I know it’s been awhile since there’s been a post here.. Just thought I’d give it the quick update. There’s no need to remove the power steering pump or bracket..

It’s takes literally 15 mins to get the alternator off.. Through the top of the engine bay the only thing you will need to get under the car for is to undo one short bolt the data cable plug and the nut that holds the power on back of the alternator.. before I started this job I asked a few mechanics on how it’s done one said removing the power steering pump the other said the removing the fans from the radiator.. But this is not the case at all if you figured out how to get the round block through the square hole when you were are kid your in luck!

What I did was

Before starting anything swing round to the boot and disconnect the positive from the battery..
And jack front of car up or use ramps..

1. Remove cover off top of engine (just clips on)

2.Remove the data lead from intake and air pipe from intake (leave the box in)loosen the two hose clamps. And pull it off..

3.Draw a picture of the belt so you know how it goes back on.

4.Grab the socket or ring spanner chuck it in the 15mm bolt.. on the tensioner pulley. As you turn the bracket will move to the right and loosen the belt .. (it’s spring loaded)located top left of motor and remove the loose belt while pulling back the pulley bracket..chuck it away and get a new one if it looks rubbish..

5.Loosen all the front Three bolts holding the alternator and bracket on.. the bottom bolt won’t slide out completely as the AC lead Is in the way but will be loose just sitting in there.. Just leave it in there until you can move the alternator around then It can be removed if it gets snagged on the way out.

5. Now get under the car undo power under rubber cap on back of alternator it’s a 13mm nut aftermarket.. or 12mm genuine..

6.remove Short 15mm bolt from the earth bracket on back of alternator.. (it goes through a hard small bracket that’s bolted to the engine block.. leave the bracket bolted to the block as it’s a good to have it there later to help with lining up the new alternator..

Once your got them all undone lean over into the engine bay and lift the bracket and alternator up towards the top,the only thing that will be in the way is the radiator hose just pull it towards the front of car and manoeuvre that baby strait out of there.. if I can do it anyone can.. it wasn’t difficult at all.. u just have to get the right angle..

Now When you get it out.
The bracket will be attached against the alternator.. Only because there are a couple of split spigot bushes squeezed against the Two use a flathead screwdriver and give the two bushes a tap between and the bracket will fall off.. this makes it even easier to put the new alternator back in later as you can assemble the bracket and alternator down in the engine bay..

when tightening the bolts up later it will push the two spigots back against the alternator within the bracket..

All up it took me around 40 mins that includes getting tools out and packing up

Don’t stress had no dramas Good luck with it all.. hope this helps anyone looking to do the job.

Last edited: