Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve v8 conversion.

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
Has anyone done a v8 conversion yet? I can get a wrecked ve ss for 3 grand does anyone know what's needed of it? So far I know of :
Engine
Gearbox
Ecu
PCM
K frames
Diff
Springs
Brakes
Fuel pump (maybe?)
But my biggest concern is lining things up, air con power steering, most of the engine accessories. If anyone has any info it'd be greatly appreciated.

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
Put it all in a vk:beer chug:

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
I won't be paying for someone else to do it, the only costs will be the purchase of the donor vehicle, transport of the vehicle and fluids. Or do you mean the stresses of doing it?

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
If I had the time to screw around making things fit I'd look for a vl-vk shell but I've got a v6 ve and I can get a rear ended ss for bloody cheap.

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Use that $3grand and trade your current VE for a SS less painful and stressful that's my advice.

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
My sv6 wouldn't be worth more than 8 there are heaps of them and most are a lot better condition than mine haha, I may be ambitious but I'm not naive I know my pos isn't worth much. And I've got my bike I can use to get around while the ve is under the knife. I know you guys have been around the block more than me, I'm not totally disregarding your advice I am truly taking it aboard. I'd get enjoyment from a project this big whereas you guys might see it as stress. Im going to talk to a few shops and see what they say. Thank you for your guys input. I'll be mulling it over for the next week or so and see what happens.

S.D.M.F

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport R8
Can-of-Worms_zpsfsj1nfta.jpg

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
My sv6 wouldn't be worth more than 8 there are heaps of them and most are a lot better condition than mine haha, I may be ambitious but I'm not naive I know my pos isn't worth much. And I've got my bike I can use to get around while the ve is under the knife. I know you guys have been around the block more than me, I'm not totally disregarding your advice I am truly taking it aboard. I'd get enjoyment from a project this big whereas you guys might see it as stress. Im going to talk to a few shops and see what they say. Thank you for your guys input. I'll be mulling it over for the next week or so and see what happens.

Just go for it! I would if I had a spare car or bike, definitely, that's an awesome project where there's a ton to learn; but I would recommend getting some help from an experienced mechanic (not online, but from time to time when bumping into something hard to squash). Also make sure using your bike only is OK for a few weeks, depending on how long you think it's gonna take/how much spare time you've got. A second pair of hands might be useful too.

What did you mean by "lining things up"? You could just remove the complete V8 with accessories still bolted-on and put it in you car's engine bay as-is.
I've seen a guy fitting a V8 in a Miata with all the accessories on :-D