Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE v8 otr

CJD

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV REDLINE UTE
Hi guys,
I have read most of the threads on here about the OTR CAI's available and everybody's opinion about different models and which ones are better or the best. I really need to just know simply if I am to fit an OTR CAI to my MY2012 ss redline, will I NEED to get it tuned or is this just what people do because they are told to by the people who benefit from your cash. I have now seen many youtube vidoes on how to fit many different types of them but none really say I NEED to get it tuned if I retain the MAF. If you go mafless then the need to tune is obviously there but there is not anyone saying that you NEED to get a tune up after fitting one of these with retaining the MAF. Can anybody definitively and in no doubt tell me that an expensive tune is required? I don't need to be told "if you want the best out of your OTR you will need a tune". Heard and read that many times. I look forward to hearing some truth about this. Cheers Guys.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Hi guys,
I have read most of the threads on here about the OTR CAI's available and everybody's opinion about different models and which ones are better or the best. I really need to just know simply if I am to fit an OTR CAI to my MY2012 ss redline, will I NEED to get it tuned or is this just what people do because they are told to by the people who benefit from your cash. I have now seen many youtube vidoes on how to fit many different types of them but none really say I NEED to get it tuned if I retain the MAF. If you go mafless then the need to tune is obviously there but there is not anyone saying that you NEED to get a tune up after fitting one of these with retaining the MAF. Can anybody definitively and in no doubt tell me that an expensive tune is required? I don't need to be told "if you want the best out of your OTR you will need a tune". Heard and read that many times. I look forward to hearing some truth about this. Cheers Guys.
Mate most brand new OTRs when installed properly will still work OK and not cause any drama. The thing is going to make your stock tune richer for a couple of reasons, but that will likely be within the 29% threshold of your Long Term Fuel Trims on a stock tune anyway.
So no problem when a new style OTR is installed correctly (no great point apart from noise either).
A remote tune via AutoCal is like $500, $750 with tranny tune. Best small investment mod.

CJD

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV REDLINE UTE
Great info and thanks for that. I didn't want to re hash all the info previously on other threads as that is no fun for all watching. I would like to do the tune thing but I just needed to be sure that this OTR CAI thing is not going to cause me issues til I can get the tune. Do you know if remote tunes I have seen are good. The ones that sell you a plug in for the OBD2 that gives a base tune and then can be updated by them over your computer while plugged in over the internet?

CJD

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV REDLINE UTE
Sorry mate I just read your post again and you did say the Autocal tune is $500 and a good investment. Mine is a manual so don't need to have the trany part. Have you used this Autocal remote tune system?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Sorry mate I just read your post again and you did say the Autocal tune is $500 and a good investment. Mine is a manual so don't need to have the trany part. Have you used this Autocal remote tune system?
Yes firstly from Steve Bennett from OzTrack and he's a little bit more but done hundreds of cars. Helpful bloke heaps of support.

CJD

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV REDLINE UTE
Thanks for the tip ;) I have looked at their website, I will make contact and have a chat.

Cheers

TAS1981

Reaction score
I doubt you'd really be able to feel the difference in power by just changing the filter and no tune. I'm not convinced I can tell the difference in power from a cat back otr and a tune!

If I did it again I'd do a full exhaust intake and tune and would probably take more sophisticated exhaust system.
That said I have been very happy with my VCM OTR, catback Xforce and Oztrack tune 2 years down the track.
I'd prolly have spent a little more on the exhaust but I could not justify it at the time so easy to say.
I'd do as much as possible in one go to really feel the change next time.

CJD

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV REDLINE UTE
Hi Guys, I have installed the Orssom OTR CAI and had Dale Patterson Motorsport tune my ute after the install. It had a gain of 20 kilowatts and 40nm increase in torque. I am convinced I made the right choice in the Orssom intake and the right choice in Dale Patterson motorsport for the tuning.
The car sounds great and goes better. Saving for the next mod.