Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Values

TAS1981

Reaction score
Hi all

I was thinking of chopping my car or the missus' car (2013 PoloGTI) in for something a bit newer and SUV - there are a number of reasons for this please don't flame me!

Which got me looking at values. It appears since I last looked a few years ago prices have gone up for equivalent cars - or at least what people are looking to achieve has... I am pretty sure I was looking at $15k then and now I can't seem to see a series one manual SSV for less than $24k on carsales?? Which quite frankly is bonkers.

So....are prices going up? Are people actually achieving prices over $20k? For reference I have a 2007 SSV in black, sedan, manual with 145k kms on the clock and in good overall condition. VCM OTR, xforce 2.5" catback and Oztrack tune but otherwise standard....are people really paying that much for straight cars now?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Hi all

I was thinking of chopping my car or the missus' car (2013 PoloGTI) in for something a bit newer and SUV - there are a number of reasons for this please don't flame me!

Which got me looking at values. It appears since I last looked a few years ago prices have gone up for equivalent cars - or at least what people are looking to achieve has... I am pretty sure I was looking at $15k then and now I can't seem to see a series one manual SSV for less than $24k on carsales?? Which quite frankly is bonkers.

So....are prices going up? Are people actually achieving prices over $20k? For reference I have a 2007 SSV in black, sedan, manual with 145k kms on the clock and in good overall condition. VCM OTR, xforce 2.5" catback and Oztrack tune but otherwise standard....are people really paying that much for straight cars now?

I would be keeping it if I was you. I bought my 2009 manual SSV earlier this year because I could see them going up in value and pricing me out of the market.

A few years ago you could pick up an automatic VE SS for 8-10k. The cheapest one on Carsales ATM anywhere in Australia is 13.5k. Manuals start at 20k here in QLD now.

I paid 15k for mine at the beginning of this year from a dealer which was a pretty good price for a manual. It wasn’t the cleanest SSV out there but it got me where I wanted to be and I’m putting the TLC into it to get it back up to spec.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I am pretty sure I was looking at $15k then and now I can't seem to see a series one manual SSV for less than $24k on carsales?? Which quite frankly is bonkers.

So....are prices going up?

Covid tax, it's happening with every car that's even the slightest bit fun or desirable ATM.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
A few years ago you could pick up an automatic VE SS for 8-10k. The cheapest one on Carsales ATM anywhere in Australia is 13.5k. Manuals start at 20k here in QLD now.

I paid 15k for mine at the beginning of this year from a dealer which was a pretty good price for a manual. It wasn’t the cleanest SSV out there but it got me where I wanted to be and I’m putting the TLC into it to get it back up to spec.

I bought my ignition orange SS for $11k a couple of years ago, it's got 170kms on it and while I love where prices are going, even I think $20k is a bit rich for near-14 year-old car. Mine is dead stock and plan on keeping it that way.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I bought my ignition orange SS for $11k a couple of years ago, it's got 170kms on it and while I love where prices are going, even I think $20k is a bit rich for near-14 year-old car. Mine is dead stock and plan on keeping it that way.
Well I’m happy with prices going up now I’m in the club! Thing is I think this paradigm shift will be different to previous ones.

In the past you could pay $$$$ for say an old V8 Torana but it was objectively inferior to the latest model Holden Commodore/Ford Falcon etc which had the same engine design with more power and had mod cons like aircon, power steering etc.

Now that there will effectively be no more V8 family cars (V8’s for the masses) and new high powered V8s will only be available to the rich the equation will be completely different IMO. The last couple of generations of V8 Commodores and Falcons will remain eminently drivable into the future and not some cantankerous old beast that you can only drive on weekends when the weather is fine and you still have the new V8 to drive daily.

In 20 years time when everything is either an EV or a small turbo 4 cylinder (because the manufacturers have to meet mandated average fuel economy standards) the last of the V8’s will be different on the inside (the engine) and the outside (the looks) rather than just the outside like a Torana of old.

The newer V8’s will also remain objectively superior to a lot of people seeing as there is no modern replacement for it and never will be again.

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
Hopefully the v8 calais go up as well, I still find it amazing the price difference between an ss and the calais v8. Not that I complained when I bought it

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
There will be more owners that will want to hold on to there v8 commodores now there isn’t any new replacements being made in my opinion, I wanna keep my ve ss and maybe one day sell and buy a vf2