Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Welding a diff ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsArthurKomar

sexy beast
Reaction score
Members Ride
super awesome time machine
ive heard a couple of the members getting either mini spool or full spool about a year ago and cant remember who ...

yeah im reading **** that if u have a mini spool . that your axles will break and every time u turn at slow speed u get a bang noise from the diff
I dont think anyone makes a full or mini spool for the VE diff I could be wrong but.
A spool is still the same as welding the star gears in the diff not the best for on the street.

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
I had a spool in my vs snapped the axel after about 2 years. Better off getting a LSD

itsArthurKomar

sexy beast
Reaction score
Members Ride
super awesome time machine
ok so the favours are towards and LSD.....

so next question ... what ratio :S i have a 6speed semi-auto gearbox....

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
What's the current ratio?

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Really? That's what my GTS runs as standard! I thought it would have been something like 2.9's?

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
Differential:

ZF differential with aluminium casing 8.3-inch crown wheel Alloytec V6 Ratio: 3.27:1 Alloytec 195 V6 Ratio: 2.92:1 V8 Automatic Ratio: 2.92:1 V8 Manual Ratio: 3.45:1

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
I vote for stupid idea on welding, why would you need to?

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Welding a Diff on a VE is a very very bad idea !

The reasons why this is bad is,
1) Traction Control uses the each ABS brake channel individually to brake, driving wheels depending on the situation.
(Ie traction control works by reducing engine torque, AND by applying a brake force to the wheel that is spinning !!!!)
Weld a diff, and when traction control detects loss of traction, something here will need to give, engine, transmission, drive shafts, welded diff, take your pick, but one thing will be for certain, the results wont be pretty, for the driver, the car, and your wallet...

2) Stability management does this as well to on each wheel to induce understeer and oversteer (applying brake force to front or rear wheels to induce understeer or oversteer, and this is done individually as well),
Weld you diff, and you will find Stability management will do some very unpredictable things in the wet, and in extreme driving.

3) The above modules have sensors that detect brake force, individual wheel speed, and a whole lot of parameters that try to determine if the system is faulty. Weld a diff and sooner or later you are going to have DTCs pop up, and the modules will be disabled until the errors are corrected. In extreme cases, the ECM can reduce engine power if the logged DTCs are bad enough to warrant this...

Definitely buy an LSD diff from eBay. I got mine for around $300 bucks (2.90 ratio, the same ratio that I have n the car from stock).
That way you know it will work, the above modules will be happy, and if you crash the car, insurance will not have ANY reason to void your policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.