Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Window Tint

Mitch-VE6LTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS series 2
My dealer subbied out the tiny work, that's how I got it, maybe in Sydney and places like that you guys must get hassled I live in the central west of NSW so no probs for me :))

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Dude don't worry about legal limits too much providing the car isn't heavily modified.. As I said mines 13 percent on the sides cops dont even notice.. When did you last hear of something getting hit with a tiny defect lol.. That's what the window tinter told me anyway.

if all you are worried about is defects and rego, then you are worrying about the wrong sort of problem.
illegal tint will cause you all sorts of dramas if you have a prang and assessor sees how little vision you have.... and at 13% you are VERY LITTLE vision at night time.
i hope you never have a prang mate, but if you do it better in the middle of the day (a nice sunny day).
because I've been in cars with 13% tint and its ####ing scary how little you can see even on an overcast day. then add some water droplets from rain and its lights out!

VTProductions

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE BERLINA 07
So, what price have people here paid for their tints? I was quoted $450 for "Street Legal" when I bought my car. I didn't take it, but now being in the middle of 40 degree+ temperatures, I feel that may have been an error in judgement Lol. I was gonna find it cheaper elsewhere.

im quoted 180 mates rates 245 elsewere

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
I bought an ex cop unmarked vz with tint, cannot see through side widows at all, guess it all depends on what cars are used for, i've had this car 3 years and had no quiery from cops.

redvess

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Window tint comes in metal or polyester films the fader tint on the red ve ss only has a life expectence of maybe 5 years at best and is totally illegal there is no such thing as factory tint and most car dealers use the cheap polyester films and charge the earth for it 35% is wat they class as legal in most states of oz when you get your car redgo done if it has tint they are supposed to test it with a light meter to check if its legal and can knock you back for redgo if it is darker than legal let alone the hassells with insurance ,i hope this helps clear up some of the questions that people are asking , also with the film on the red ve ss if you damage a window and had to retint it after say 1 year it will not match the rest of the cars tint thats how fast this film fades could be why its called fader film it looks ok for a short time but just doesnt last not bagging your ss neither mate as it looks sweeeeet as .

just saw this thought I'd update my experience with this sort of tint the part saying it has a "life expectence of maybe 5 years" is a bit over an over estimate mine only lasted about a year before it went pink instead of red and just looked horrible so in the 3 years I had it on my car I had it replaced twice even changing tinters so the 3rd lot i had on my car was a darker shade of red but still fadded to pink after a year so now I have just a black 15% tint on my car which doesnt stand out as much but with the mods I have on my car now I'd rather they caught peoples attention cos before the only thing people would ask me was "where did you get your tint done?"

rusty411

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series II Sv6 3.6L ute
486097bd.jpg

thats 15%

09a0e119.jpg

ive got 15 on side windows 5 on the quarter window and 15 on the rear cops havent hassled me and cost me 170

blasta1

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE
redvess the only reson that i said with the fader film having a life expectance of 5 years is because the company we get our film from warrants there product for that time period , your problems with the fader is exactly wat happens with the film when used on normal road cars the film is aimed mainly at show cars ( who in there right mind would put it on a show car bets me ) but you are dead right it dont last thats why its called fader film lol .

redvess

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
redvess the only reson that i said with the fader film having a life expectance of 5 years is because the company we get our film from warrants there product for that time period , your problems with the fader is exactly wat happens with the film when used on normal road cars the film is aimed mainly at show cars ( who in there right mind would put it on a show car bets me ) but you are dead right it dont last thats why its called fader film lol .

yeah its a shame cos its a great looking tint and certainly gets a lot of attention but I've seen how much thinner in is than normal tint so its understandable that it doesnt last as long